No announcement yet.

Bleaching your own skulls.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about rams? Do you remove the horns before cleaning? Pointers on removing?

I have one that's been dried out for some time. Sat in a black trashbag forever. Skin and most tissue fell away. This has me wanting to finish the job.

Comment

If anyone gets real good at cleaning and bleaching yall should open up a shop, i get around a 150 or so skulls every year and i hate doing them, but i like the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Capstone View Post
        How about rams? Do you remove the horns before cleaning? Pointers on removing?

I have one that's been dried out for some time. Sat in a black trashbag forever. Skin and most tissue fell away. This has me wanting to finish the job.
        Yes, you want to remove the horns before doing any cleaning or bleaching. Horns are not like antlers and will be more easily ruined. If the head is dry, the caratine exterior of the horns should slip off, leaving only the bony part that is part of the skull.

This should be done for any animal that has horns instead of antlers, incuding sheep, antelope, cattle, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Taxidermist View Post
          If anyone gets real good at cleaning and bleaching yall should open up a shop, i get around a 150 or so skulls every year and i hate doing them, but i like the money.
          My bugs are in. How bout we work a deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
            My bugs are in. How bout we work a deal!!!!
            Migyt just give you a try when season gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by The Taxidermist View Post
              I do do wholesale work.

Comment

i've got a little 5pt that i've been wanting to do this to...

thanks for the tips
                I will post some pics when its done

Comment

cant wait to try it

Comment

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Comment

Thanks, just saw my question answered.

Comment

they cleaned up very well

Comment

Bowhuntertex, I used your dirrections to bleach a bear skull and had a question. Your skulls look great by the way. My bear skull has a couple spots on the top that are still brownish yellow. Had to ever had skulls come out with dark spots and is there any way to get them to bleach white? Thank you

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but couldn't you just spray paint the skull an off white color? I love the Euro mounts but this seems like a chore!

Comment

Skulls painted white look like crap. If you use the peroxide method, they look more naturally whitened that if you paint them and fill in the intricate details with white paint.

I have seen some painted skulls that have designs painted on them that looks really cool. I wouldnt do it with a big buck, but maybe a cull, hog, or predator skull.

Comment

Thanks to all for the hints

Comment

Working...
                                X