Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Help Me Get Started Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard decent reviews on the HF welder...Thought I feel all of the HF tools are temporary tools. I just checked out that Eastwood thread...I'd be willing to give them a try. I use HTP welders and a Plasma Cutter, from USAWELD. My go to is a 200 amp (220v) that I run with gas, and I keep a 130amp (110v) that I run with flux core for portable jobs. The HTP welders were a bit cheaper than the "Big 3", but seem to have all the same, if not better, parts. I will say this, my MIG 200 I bought in 2006 and is a rockstar. My MIG130 I bought about 2 years ago, and I have never been been overly pleased with it...the case is identical to the Forney machines, which makes me think they are all made in the same Chinese factory. It still works, just doesn't always strike me as "smooth running". My brother and I went halves on their Micro Cut 380, a tiny plasma cutter...we bought it about 15 years ago, she is still running strong. The customer service with HTP has been fantastic, asking questions or figuring out what tips I needed, again, great.

I purchased a Lincoln WeldPack, I think it was a 135, new from HD for like $550-600. I had it about 4 years and it was going to cost almost $400 to fix it. I don't think I'd buy another of their small 110v welders.

One of the companies I teach for has a Hobart, 130 or 140, I don't recall, and I have been using it for classes for about 4 years now. It is still going strong and I am impressed by it.

You have no need to mess with a stick machine anytime soon. I have Lincoln stick welder that might get turned on once a year. I also have an "under the hood" welder that runs off my Jeep...handy, but rarely gets used anymore. The Wire-Feed welders are far more forgiving and easier to learn on.

You will need the tools that go with welding....Like chop saw, wire brush, 4.5" angle grinder, (wire wheels/grinding wheels/sanding flap-discs), and a decent welding helmet...I highly suggest jumping straight to an auto-darkening helmet (it will expedite your learning).

- Take time to clean the metal before you weld it
    - Make sure the metal is clean where you attach the ground
    - Wear long sleeves when you are welding to avoid wicked sun-burns from the UV
    - Practice on scrap metal now, not on a real project
    - Be aware of warpage...no matter how thick the metal, if you weld a lot in one area, in a quick amount of time, you are bound to warp the metal...like a wet board! Take your time and jump around on the project, giving some time for spots to cool a bit.
    - Find a local metal salvage place, buy your metal from them

GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

Thanks HainesNYT..very informative. Dad an I are going on on a Hobart 140 I think.

Comment

I own a welding supply store and I direct a lot of my customers to this website.

I also recommend the Tweco 3-n-1 welder to them for something to learn on. It will stick, MIG and flux core all in one unit.

I don't know what the welding supply stores are like in your area, but I will take 2-3 hours with a new customer like yourself and hook up the machine and get them started with stick and MIG. We cost a little more than Tractor Supply or the internet but we are also a great source of information, training and support.

Go talk to your local (not the big chain stores) welding supply store, they are probably wiling to help you the same way.

Comment

Huge thanks to coachroc who invited me by his shop to learn a little and pickup some steel. I also recently picked up a Hobart 140...First "project" already underway!

Comment

Congrats on the 140. Looking forward to seeing pics of your project!

Comment

In for the pics

Comment

Nothing exciting yet...just an end table for the wife. Next step is a deer feeder for me I'll post soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 09tacoma View Post
                  I weld for a living and would recommend not spending a fortune until you know you enjoy and want to continue with it before you spend more money.
                  This.

And make sure your metal is as clean as possible. Its much easier to make a good weld on clean metal than it is dirty stuff

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                    I was in the same boat and read a lot!!! I got a Hobart 140 and it's been great for the smaller projects I've done...that and youtube have gotten me through!haha
                    I tried to tell ya!haha Have fun with it!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                      Thanks HainesNYT..very informative. Dad an I are going on on a Hobart 140 I think.

Good choice. I just bought myself one around Christmas and love it. I just bought a gas bottle for it and the difference is amazing. Just can't weld in the wind with the gas. Otherwise, I'm not going back to flux wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                        Huge thanks to coachroc who invited me by his shop to learn a little and pickup some steel. I also recently picked up a Hobart 140...First "project" already underway!
                        Cool !

Established 1976. Light-em up!

Comment

Thanks a ton folks!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing pics!!

Comment

Dont get mad with it your not always gonna lay down a perfect bead. Theres gonna be alot of junk ones. Just keep at it. And your'll get it. It font have to be pretty to be strong.

Comment

I bought the harbor freight model a few years ago and it works fine. I realize you get what you pay for but I wasn't sure if I was going to be any good at it or even enjoy it so I didn't want to spend too much. So far it's been a great investment. My next one will be a better brand but for my first welder it has worked great for me. Def do a lot of little projects at first because your beads will get better so when your ready to do a big project you got the bead down good! Oh ya invest In a good helmet.

Comment

Working...
                                X