Vertical smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical smoker

I have made a bunch of pits over the years. Been thinking about a vertical one. I have a clean propane tank. Anyone ever creat one. It won't take up much room and should cook the usual meats fine. I searched , came up with the regular styles and the vertical box type.

Never built one, but planning on it this year. Post as a build along with a lot of pictures so I can see what you come up with. I'm keyed in on this one.

Comment

I built this upright on the end of my daughter and SNL's smoker. It is for cold/hot/ or water smoking. Has several racks as you can see, that are removable for convenience pending what your smoking. And hooks on the inside at the top for hanging hams, turkeys, geese, or what ever. Stack is a piece of 4x4 with an adjustable baffle to control smoke exit. Casters on the legs for rolling around on solid ground/flooring. Additional pics included for those interested. Pics are old and off an old cell phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoke (12).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24425510

Name:	smoke (16).JPG
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24425511

Name:	smoke (14).JPG
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24425512

Name:	smoke (13).JPG
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24425513

Name:	smoke (7).JPG
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	24425514

Name:	smoke (10).JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	24425515
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-21-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I do plan to build "1" good upright out of a propane tank at some point in my life. The next horizontal will have the fire box on the back for more even heat dispersion. And with a heat baffle under the grill area.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I just started one a couple weeks ago. Hoping to get some steel tomorrow after I go to the scrapyard.

Comment

I have wanted to build one for some time. My uncle built one out of a propane tank years ago. He mounted it to a bud wheel off of a 18 wheeler. The fire was at the bottom of the tank that had a access door. Then he had one big door with a couple of racks. He made the best brisket. Anybody ever built one similar to this. Most of the vertical smokers I see now have a off set fire box.

Comment

2x2x5. Holds ten racks. 1" insulation all the way around. My father and his friend build these back in Florida. He gave me the one on the left 3 years ago. It makes some killer BBQ. These 2 are stainless but the others they build are typically out of steel to keep costs down for folks. It makes the awesome "thud" when you close the doors.

Comment

This is what I m wanting to use. You know us older guys, there is a thinking time, a drawing time, a preparing time and a doing it time. Right now it a fishing time.

Comment

Texas Grown, does the racks rotate on your smoker? This is kinda what I was wanting to do, the smoke flume would go out the top and run to near the fire box. The pipe would support the rotating greats.

Comment

Turtlewax, nice work by your Pops. If you don't mind me asking, what are they insulated with?

Originally posted by Tree Phantom View Post
                    Texas Grown, does the racks rotate on your smoker? This is kinda what I was wanting to do, the smoke flume would go out the top and run to near the fire box. The pipe would support the rotating greats.
                    Your plan sounds solid. That's where my kid's smoker I built above exits too, on top from the 4"x4". Racks only turned by hand at the handles if needed. The racks are standard replacement racks that can be gotten at Lowes. I think Academy has them too. There are 4 angle iron tabs inside to hold them up with enough to keep them from slipping off. And enough room to remove them if you want more space between racks. I also got the charcoal pan and water pan there. Don't remember where I got the thermometers. Your tank will make a good one!

Gotcha on the "fishing time" . I just got my new to me boat on the water today for a test run. I've had it since Oct. 2014. Been rebuilding the trailer and making a few mods to the boat while I was searching for a motor. Finally just broke down and bought a new motor back this past Nov. . 2004 G3 1648 square bow Jon with a brand new tiller 25hp E-Tech with TT. Ran 26.9mph on the GPS today. Still have a bit more to do to the boat and trailer. But at least I can fish it now that I missed almost all duck season . I also use it to get around the public lands I hunt for hogs and deer. Missed Deer season where I usually hunt. But got lucky on two draw hunts this year. "Hog season" has started for me now that deer season is over. I'll be chunking jug lines while hog hunting. And checking them between hunts, till the sandies and crappy start bite-n .
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-23-2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Turtlewax, nice work by your Pops. If you don't mind me asking, what are they insulated with?
                      I know rock wool is popular insulation for those, and I've heard of folks using sheet rock.

Comment

Thanks. They cook very well.

He uses 1000* rockwool sheets. Dale is correct. When they used to compete he would sit a plastic water bottle on the top of it. They wont melt and it would attract attention so he could talk about them. I can run 200 pieces of chicken or 20 racks of spares or 30 babys. Water pan sits just above the firebox.

Comment

build a vertical offset, super easy and very efficient to control heat

Comment

All sounds and looks great. The offset or right under the stack firebox is what I can't decide on.

Comment

Working...
                            X