BIG BERTHA #1 - Daily release protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG BERTHA #1 - Daily release protein feeder

This is my BIG BERTHA #1 protein feeder. She holds 1200 pounds of protein or a little more of corn. Digitally timed and solar charged 12 volt motor (Foreverlast) that when set to 2 seconds will feed 3 pounds in the morning and 3 pounds in the evening. Feed motor is protected by steel hood (which is partially up in the picture). All feed dumps into disk trough just above ground level. Feeder is heavy, but fits on dump bed trailer that can easily be pulled by ranger. Feeder has panel fence around it to keep out javelina and the occasional mountain goat.

She's on my lease in Terrell County near Dryden which we only get to 3-4 times per year to fill feeders. This keeps the deer with a small but steady amount of feed. I saw 10x the deer this year since Bertha was out... Keeps them in the area and coming back for more.
    Last edited by TXBRASS; 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM.

Looks like a great coon feeder too. She looks heavy for sure.

Comment

Yeah....had over 1500 pics and only about 20 were coons. Deer seem to have found it first and wait there for it to go off.

Comment

Curious about getting wet ?

Comment

The bottom of the disc has drain holes but the deer eat it clean daily.....rain or shine.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the feeder part that throws it out. It seems like a lot of feed for only 2 seconds. That thing is totally awesome and would love to make one for a place I have out in big bend. That is some great work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's just a Foreverlast feed unit surrounded by a piece of pipe which allows it all to drop down and into the feed pan. I have it gapped to when it spins it feeds 3.5 pounds each time.

Comment

Here ya go BrokenJ.

Comment

Comment

Great build.

Comment

Went back yesterday and filled up Big Bertha. Solar panel working great as battery was still 100% charged. Everything completely operational and doing great after a year in the desert. I had her set to feed only once a day so she was still putting out an appetizer every morning.

Comment

Heck of a feeder, very well done!!

Comment

Wish I would have seen this earlier. Prolly coulda helped you with your timed feeding. Great job, none the less.

Comment

A year later and battery is still 100% fully charged and she is still filling the trough every morning with 3-4 pounds of protein/corn mix. Absolutely love the dependability of this feeder!

Comment

Nice set-up.

Comment

Working...
                              X