Cattle Panel Hog Traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Panel Hog Traps

They look simple. Has anyone built one? Was it successful? Did the hogs get trap shy after the first few got caught? What size panels did you use?

Building one next Sunday. Appreciate the help.

Built our first one during bow season. We have a feeder in it that throws once a day in the evening. You need to use the tall cattle panels 50 or 54 inches. You need a t post every 4 ft or so. We didnt have them that close...... Until we caught a first group of pigs. Next day we went back and added additional T post. We left our gate wired open and feeder running for about 3 weeks or so before we set out trap. Caught 4 in it on our first try. Are you going to shoot em or a you going to load them and sell them. Either way plan how you are going to get them out of the trap. The bigger the trap the more room they have to run and charge the fence and /or you. Dont build it to big. We used 5-6 panels and i dont know if i would build it that big again. Maybe 4-5 panels. Anyspot that is weak they will attack and try to get out. Dont underestimate their strength or willingnesss to attack because they will do both. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Good to know. I was going to build a huge trap. Seems like I'd be better making multiple small ones. I was going to spike down the bottoms of the panels.

Most likely they will be shot. There's so many I really don't have time to fool with selling them.

Comment

We have had one out for about 8 years. We used 7 or 8 panels and then wrapped 3 strands of barbed wire around the pen using the excess t posts sticking out of the top. We build a custom drop gate out if wood we had laying around. Try to pick a good location with a decent amount of brush and a shade tree for them. We also installed a water trough for them. Having a feeder inside of it works great as well. We haven't used ours for a couple of years but we set it a few weekends ago and trapped 14.

A few things to keep in mind, make it where you can sneak up on them to shoot so they do not get too stirred up. Keep in mind how you are going to remove them from the trap and chum the area often before you set the trap.

Comment

The 4x4 panels 5 feet high work best. build the trap in a circle so there are no corners,(weak spots) and leave the top 15 inches not, repeat not wired to the top of the t-posts, this lets the panels bend over and drops the hogs back in the trap when they try to climb out. T-post every 6 feet is fine if you have hard soil, but sandy soil needs posts every 4 feet. The bigger you build it the more hogs get into it before the trap is triggered.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Got a big problem right now.

Comment

Comment

Had to quit feeding late October because the deer quit coming to the feeders. Hogs were there almost 24-7. Now they are tearing up the ground.
                Last edited by niceg3s; 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Herd looks smaller from Feb to Oct. The cattle farmers to the west and south have both started trapping them. My dad has shot 3.
                  Last edited by niceg3s; 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

6 54" high 16' panels plus a 4' trap door makes for a 100' around trap w/feeder inside. Have caught up to 16 at one time. I put a camera on the trap and prop the door open until I see they are coming regular, then I set it.

Comment

I have enough panels and a gate for a trap, but wasn't sure how big it needed to be. Was thinking a round one with 4 panels and then laying some panels over the top would work great to keep them in. Like the idea of not tying the top part of the panel so they are floppy.

Comment

I'd go bigger than smaller on trap size. You want to make sure you have the whole sounder coming in to the trap regularly before you set the gate/door. This avoids trap shyness.

Google/YouTube Texas A&M Agrilife Extension and corral traps. They've got some pretty good videos on how-to make and monitor the traps.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
                          I'd go bigger than smaller on trap size. You want to make sure you have the whole sounder coming in to the trap regularly before you set the gate/door. This avoids trap shyness.

Google/YouTube Texas A&M Agrilife Extension and corral traps. They've got some pretty good videos on how-to make and monitor the traps.
                          Thanks. That video for the circle c trap was just what I needed. I would have used t-post clips and not baited the trap right had I not seen that. Not exactly what I was going to build before, but since it gave good directions and materials list, I think I will use this design instead.

Comment

Not sure what your budget is but if you're really serious about trapping and can afford it the BoarBuster is the way to go in my opinion.

http://www.boarbuster.com/

It was developed by the guys at the Noble Foundation and has a lot of research behind it. I was there in August for training and they did a demonstration. It is designed to trap the whole group at once so that none get away and learn to be trap shy. You should look into it

Comment

Originally posted by jryzz View Post
                              Not sure what your budget is but if you're really serious about trapping and can afford it the BoarBuster is the way to go in my opinion.

http://www.boarbuster.com/

It was developed by the guys at the Noble Foundation and has a lot of research behind it. I was there in August for training and they did a demonstration. It is designed to trap the whole group at once so that none get away and learn to be trap shy. You should look into it
                              My friend showed me a video of one of these. He was getting one for his place in Putnam. I'll have to check with him to see if he ever got it. I got a few more things I'd rather have for $5000.

Comment

Working...
                              X