OSB board Blind??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSB board Blind??

Has anyone built a blind with OSB board instead of plywood? Did it last very long in the elements? Looking to building a couple of blinds over the summer and trying to stay on a budget.

Yes but keep them painted

Comment

I have built a ghost blind corrugated plastic blind. What is OSB board?

Comment

they require a lot of paint but will last 6-8 years without some sort of siding on them.

Comment

Yup, just paint

Comment

Mine is heavily painted OSB and is holding up fine after the wettest and warmed year on record.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              I have built a ghost blind corrugated plastic blind. What is OSB board?
              OSB board=wafer board=particle board. It is basically larger thin wood shavings covered in glue and compressed together to for a 4x8 sheet.

http://www.lowes.com/Building-Suppli.../N-1z10t8h/pl#!

Comment

In addition to regular painting you have to make sure you seal any exposed edges. That is where the water is likely to get in first - the chips start to swell and it will come apart quickly. I have used caulk on the edges before painting and it helps a lot. Better yet, cover the corners with that thin aluminum angle flashing stuff

Comment

How thick of a sheet have yall used? What kind of paint?
                  Last edited by DuramaxDude; 12-22-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

7/16 thickness and use any decent paint. Cheap paint will work but you need to use several coats.

Comment

yep coat it thick with latex oops home depot paint and had one last nearly 15 yrs in south tx

Comment

Spray the edges with the rubberized coating from Home Depot.

Comment

DD, like Jerp has said, the key is to keep the edges from getting penetrated with water. Use the flashing that he is talking about on the edges and paint heavily with paint and you will be good to go. I usually take a roller and repaint yearly to make sure that water does not penetrate the OSB. I have a blind made from OSB that gets hunted regularly and is holding up to the elements very well. It has been in the field for about 7 years. It does take upkeep. On the other hand, I think the best value overall and worry-free is to use 3/8" plywood. It is a bit more expensive but really holds up to the elements very well and is virtually maintenance free. Hope this helps.

Comment

Could wrap it in roofing felt also.

Comment

Just spend a little more money and use plywood or smartstrand siding. Try to get their damaged sheets cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X