Poly tank blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poly tank blind

This is going to be a slow, low budget build for next season.

The tank is one we had at one of our plants and it has a crack in the bottom, making it useless (except to me!). It's right at 10' tall and 5.5' in diameter.

The doors and windows will be made using the pieces that get cut out, just trimmed and hinged.

Should I leave the floor, or cut it out? It's not going to be elevated, so I think not having a dirt floor would be nice.

I plan to insulate it with old carpet or something, to keep the noise down.

Any suggestions?

Dirt is better for sound and smell

Comment

I would leave the floor in it, and do the carpeting like you mentioned. Hope it turns out good for you man! hell at 10' you could make a platform inside of it to get you elevated haha.

Comment

I'm thinking of keeping the floor. I hate that every time it rains my chair sinks in the dirt, everything inside the blind gets covered in dirt, etc... That, and if I bring the kid, he can play/sleep on an actual floor and not dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepntx View Post
          This is going to be a slow, low budget build for next season.

The tank is one we had at one of our plants and it has a crack in the bottom, making it useless (except to me!). It's right at 10' tall and 5.5' in diameter.

The doors and windows will be made using the pieces that get cut out, just trimmed and hinged.

Should I leave the floor, or cut it out? It's not going to be elevated, so I think not having a dirt floor would be nice.

I plan to insulate it with old carpet or something, to keep the noise down.

Any suggestions?
          1/2" foam board may work well , probably could spray glue it to the interior walls . I have used the 4x8 sheets from Home Depot and they work in box blinds . They bend and shape well also .

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
            1/2" foam board may work well , probably could spray glue it to the interior walls . I have used the 4x8 sheets from Home Depot and they work in box blinds . They bend and shape well also .
            Good tip, thanks [emoji41]

Another good thing about this tank, is it has a spin-off lid on the top. I'll find some way to build/attach a long t-handle to it so I can open it during early season to let heat out. I know it'll still be hot, but hopefully that will help some.
            Last edited by jeepntx; 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Keep the floor! You'll lose a lot of the strength if you remove the floor. A horse stall mat will work fine. Tough and it absorbs sound. If you want to keep insects out then frame some deerview windows in. I did it with a fiberglass tank. Decide what size you want to go with, build them 1 inch smaller like his site says. Hold them in place, trace the outline, cut to out and good to go. I used 1 inch 90* brackets and mounted them on each side of the frame and through the tank. A bead of caulk and you're good to go.

Comment

Here's my build. Can't see the brackets but you can see the windows framed

Comment

I'll be watching this one as you go. I have a poly tank up at our farm that I'm going to turn into a blind. Mine is shorter and wider, but I plan to do the framed deerview windows. The door is what I'm trying to figure out at this point. Good luck to you!

Comment

You could always build a platform for it and secure it to that. Also, carpet is always a good idea for blinds. I love having a nice insulated blind for those cold sits (the 2-3 we have each year).

Comment

If you have the means, Dig down a couple of feet and set it in the ground. Then pile the dirt around it that came out of the hole. That will anchor it when the wind hits. They are amazing stands. Deer will get used to it and walk right past with you inside.

Comment

Does anybody know where to buy these at??

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
                          I would leave the floor in it, and do the carpeting like you mentioned. Hope it turns out good for you man! hell at 10' you could make a platform inside of it to get you elevated haha.
                          A 3' platform would be really cool... you'd still have plenty of headroom but it would elevate you just a smidge. Heck you could do 5' and have two hunters or a hunter and a cameraman at different levels. I'm done now...

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                            A 3' platform would be really cool... you'd still have plenty of headroom but it would elevate you just a smidge. Heck you could do 5' and have two hunters or a hunter and a cameraman at different levels. I'm done now...

That's what I was thinking man, slight elevation would be cool. Lol if you put it 4' up you could pull a 4 wheeler into the lower garage lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                              http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=532789

Here's my build. Can't see the brackets but you can see the windows framed
                              I've checked out your build a few times. I like the windows, just not sure how I want to do this one. I'm trying to go as low budget as I can.
                              Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              If you have the means, Dig down a couple of feet and set it in the ground. Then pile the dirt around it that came out of the hole. That will anchor it when the wind hits. They are amazing stands. Deer will get used to it and walk right past with you inside.
                              I'll have to try that. It's east TX, so as long as I can get past pine tree roots, the digging shouldn't be a problem!

Hoping to work on it some this weekend. I'll go ahead and cut the windows to the deer view spec's, just in case I go that route.

Comment

Working...
                              X