Horseshoe Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horseshoe Cross

Super simple project. These can be thrown together in minutes, or a couple hours depending on how much detailed you would like to get.

(I'm doing this for a Christmas present for my ex's little girl ...who's 14 now...and had lost her way. Apparently doesn't believe in God anymore. She is on the other side of the States and I haven't seen her in years, but she was/is very special to me and she remembers me a bit as a trustworthy father figure. I'm planning on writing her a letter and hoping to sway her back to at least having an open mind...plant the seed if you will.). --I'm open to any suggestion or stories of similar experiences.

Back to the project: - about $12 in horse shoes. Going with 5 to keep it small and easy to ship.

I normally like to run them across the wire wheel to take the scale/coating off an shine them up... Before welding them

Comment

Rustic metal art is supposed to be "rustic"...I think there is some room for interpretation there.

I prefer to draw a line to try and keep things a bit "square".

Comment

Looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          Looks nice.

Thanks...hopefully inspire a couple folks.

All welded up...going to clean it up with grinder & wire wheel

Comment

Nice craft, but I really like your work bench. I've got a hunk of 3/8" plate in the scrap yard that would enable me to build something similar.

I bet it's easier to weld this sort of craft when all you have to do is clamp the ground lead to the bench.

Comment

Looks good, here's one I made.

Comment

Originally posted by cam6467 View Post
                Nice craft, but I really like your work bench. I've got a hunk of 3/8" plate in the scrap yard that would enable me to build something similar.

I bet it's easier to weld this sort of craft when all you have to do is clamp the ground lead to the bench.

No doubt!....I finally built this about 2 years ago and use it ALL the time! I think this table is about 30"X 5' it's 1/2" thick and I bought it at a salvage yard for pennies on the dollar. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
                  Looks good, here's one I made.

That is a nice one...I was SUPER close to doing it that way but "think" she may enjoy seeing the horseshoe shape more. Nice work sir!

Comment

So I ground the welds flat on the back side to insure it will lay flat against the wall.

On the front I decided to sand most of it down and polish it to get a mirror like finish. I left some of the imperfections for character.

Comment

A little propane torch treatment for a bit of that "rainbow" color.

Comment

A couple quick coats of Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Glaze

Done and DONE!!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Well done sir...looks really nice.

Comment

Just a suggestion for you guys making these; if you make them upside down, mark where the welds will be and grind out a "V" there and weld at the "V". Then you can grind the weld flat and there will be a weld between the shoes and no weld will show on the good side, making them look a little nicer.

Comment

Working...
                              X