attempting my first folder knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attempting my first folder knife.

I had a old lock back knife I tore apart just to see how it was constructed.

Here's the knife I tore apart.

I'm not going to use any of the old knife, I'll be using a 440C blade with stainless bolsters, I'm not sure what handle material yet.

Anyhow, I got the blade rough cut today, I still need to cut the lock back and spring.

I'm not sure how long it will take but I'm going to try! Lol!

I got the spring cut, I changed it up some because I don't have the tools the manufacturer does.

I drilled 2 pin holes for the spring.

Mine is the one on top.

Comment

Watching this one Kevin...can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Since this is my first attempt I left the lock long so I can adjust it.

Comment

My dad always told me you can always cut more but you can't add any more.

Comment

wow that didn't take long,at least this knife has separate bolsters so you can make it 100% handmade

Comment

Sweet!! I wanna try a folder too...just haven't had much time! Looks good so far!!

Comment

I got the liners rough shaped, I missed on the lock so I'm going to have to cut a new one, live and learn.

Comment

That's just black sharpie on there so I can see my marks better.

Comment

I got it all heat treated and tempered today, what I learned is set the spring tension prior to h/t, I made 3 lockbacks to get one right.

Comment

looks great!!

Comment

Looks good. Following

Comment

I guess what I mean is, you can set the tension before heat treat, but after you figure it out leave it alone and do the h/t process for whatever steel you are using.

Comment

ya Im so lost I'm going to take a class on folders

Comment

After a lot of trial and error I might be heading in the right direction, on this knife I've made 4 locks and 2 springs, the 1st one broke on me, I'm working on #2 spring now.

What I've learned is folders are a pain, it's best to draw it on paper in the open and closed position and make your marks.

Anyhow, while I was waiting on the oven I cut the bolsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X