Outhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outhouse

Ok, so yesterday I posted about the new cleaning rack I built for our new lease.

Today, I'm showing off the new outhouse. I have the option for cutting a hole in the floor any time at a later date, but for now we're using a 5 gallon bucket. The reason for this is that the ground around camp is a few inches of soil, and then turns to all rock. Digging a hole is kind of difficult.

What I've tried so far, is putting biodegradable RV/Boat antifreeze in the bucket so there's some liquid that won't turn to a block of ice while your at the lease. When we leave the lease for the weekend, I go to our designated spot to dump the waste. Then I go replace and refill the bucket. It sounds much worse than it is.

The outhouse floor is 4'X4'. I wasn't sure if this would be spacious enough, but it worked out great. I did not draw any plans for this build. I just kind of had in my mind what I wanted and went to The Home Depot for materials. The only thing I had to go back for was more 2'x4's and some roofing nails to attach the roof. Total cost of the build is about $350. This was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm satisfied with the build and it's quite cozy to use. The floor and seating area a plywood. It's framed with standard 2x4 studs. The walls are made from 5 1/2" x 8' cedar fence panels. The doors are also constructed of the same fence panels.

I added a door spring from a screen door to keep the door closed when it's not in use. Hopefully this will help keep critters from making my outhouse their home. The toilet seat was the cheapest that Home Depot had, and came in a $6.

If you'll look closely at the pick of the back where the bucket is shown, you can see that I added a 1"x2" on each side of the bucket. These were placed at an angle, getting narrower as you slide the bucket into place. This way, as you slide the bucket in all the way until is hits the stop, it's also being guided to the center point. This means that each time you put the bucket in, you can just push it in until it stops and it will be in exactly the right spot, every time. This, of course, helps prevent getting the bucket in the wrong spot and causing a mess for you to have to clean up when someone misses the bucket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outhouse Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	25073481

Name:	Outhouse Inside 1.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	25073482

Name:	Outhouse Inside 2.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	25073483

Name:	Outhouse Back.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	25073484

Name:	Outhouse Bucket.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	25073485

Great job man!

Comment

Who's gonna be the lucky guy to dump the dump bucket? Nice build.

Comment

I am so spoiled!

Comment

Nice job! Need a half moon in the door! lol

Comment

I like that a lot. Great job!

Comment

You should get a 55 gallon drum, cut it in half and then who ever shoots the wrong deer make them burn the sh#%*er.

Comment

That's a heck of turlet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  Who's gonna be the lucky guy to dump the dump bucket? Nice build.
                  I actually wrote S#%thouse rules on the door. Rule number 1# is if you use this S#%thouse, be willing to dump the bucket.

Additionally, I've left a Sharpie on the little shelf in there and encouraged graffiti and users to sign the wall. After all, it wouldn't be a proper S#%thouse without appropriate graffiti on the walls, right?

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        You should get a 55 gallon drum, cut it in half and then who ever shoots the wrong deer make them burn the sh#%*er.
                        Not a bad idea....I could get a real kick out of watching my son burning the barrel!

Comment

Don't forget the half moon on the outside. All outhouses need them for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by boogieandbride View Post
                            Don't forget the half moon on the outside. All outhouses need them for some reason...
                            I thought about it. Then realized that my jig saw has died and I haven't replaced it yet. Also, I didn't want any way for birds to get in to start nesting in there. So, I decided to go w/ out the crescent moon.

Comment

Looks really good but is there any ventilation in that thing??

Comment

Working...
                              X