Leather Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Finish

Just found a new hobby in leather working. I've got a few projects tooled and ready to finish. I'm going for the antique look and have the dyes in mind that I'm going to use.

For you leather guys what's your favorite finish and why? I've heard conflicting things about mink oil and neatsfoot oil. I've heard good things about tan kote as well. I just want something that's going to protect the leather.

Any suggestions?

Jake

I like to lightly apply olive oil. Tan korea alright but will sometimes peel off off or become plastic like on the surface. Try a little bit of everything until you find something that you like. My go to on outdoor gear is the old military boot dressing. It's a mix of oil and bees wax. I rub it in and let it sit in the sun for a couple hours to produce a deep oil color.

Comment

Nice, that's a new method that I haven't heard of. Will have to try myself.

Comment

I like shoe polish, liquid and paste. Just my $.02
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
          I like shoe polish, liquid and paste. Just my $.02
          That thong underwear in the last pic doesn't look too comfortable.

Comment

I use neets foot oil whenever I'm using alcohol-based dye, because the alcohol-based dye dries the leather out and neats foot oil hydrates it again. Otherwise I use tan coat because it's easy to use and it works.

Comment

I guess "hydrate" isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

Comment

I like to use sno seal or olive oil as previously mentioned.

Comment

Depends upon the project, but normally stick with resolene for my fire suspenders or any project where I used the angelus paints. For the projects I antique I use a process of pure neatsfoot oil, tan kote, and finish with clear lac.
                  Every one is different and you just need to experiment and find out what you like. Good luck and be sure to post pics

Edit: if using resolene mix it with a little water in a separate container and then apply several light coats. To prevent a plastic like build up or cracking.
                  Last edited by Mac; 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll post some pics when I'm finished. Sounds like with all the variations that are being used, I just need to pick one and go. Then learn from it afterwards.

Comment

Just a little stiff!

Comment

I would recommend spending some time on this site. http://leatherworker.net/forum/

Comment

Working...
                        X