New welder - target gongs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New welder - target gongs

I just jumped head first into a new hobby.
    I bought me a millermatic 141 mig welder, and a miller 375 xtream plasma cutter.
    Got a lot of projects that I have wanted to do so I went ahead and bit the bullet.

Started off with a couple rifle target gongs to practice on. Built three of these and they stack up like hurdles and don't take up to much space.
    2", 4" & 8" AR500 plates.
    Shot at them for a while at 100/200/300 yards and they did great with the 308. With the 300 RUM at 200 & 300 yards they would swing and wrap all the way around and then the second shot would knock it over. Might add a little more weight to them or put a tab to stake it down with a short piece of re-bar when shooting the RUM

Don't be to hard on the welds, my first time welding.

Next project is a bumper for my samurai to mount a winch on it. And a back seat rack.
    Then a couple feeder stands ect......

Work my way up to a smoker

Looks good to me. Good job man

Comment

Originally posted by ETXBow View Post
      Looks good to me. Good job man

Thanks

Comment

A wise fellow once told me " a grinder and a can of paint will make a welder what he ain't!"

Just kidding, good work!

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

Heck, those welds don't look bad to me...nice work.

Comment

Why not try the 300rum at 100? What could possibly go wrong?!

Comment

Awesome! Question.......I have several drops that I got from a guy with this in mind. They are mild steel I assume, not AR500. 7" in diameter and 1/2" thick. Would this even be worth building with the steel I have? Should I weld two back to back? I'll be shooting .22-.308. Thanks

Comment

Does your new welder hookup to a regular plug? Or does it need a 220?

I bought a cheap small one from harbor freight a couple of years ago but either I'm really bad or it doesn't do as good a job when I've worked with it. I think I need something a little better. Do you mind if i asked where you bought yours.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                    Does your new welder hookup to a regular plug? Or does it need a 220?

I bought a cheap small one from harbor freight a couple of years ago but either I'm really bad or it doesn't do as good a job when I've worked with it. I think I need something a little better. Do you mind if i asked where you bought yours.

I believe the 141 is 120. I have the 211, it uses 120 or 220.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                      I believe the 141 is 120. I have the 211, it uses 120 or 220.
                      Any good advise for the 211 that you have? How much did you pay for it. I'm would like to try and get more proficient in welding but I don't know what to really look for.

Comment

love it

Comment

Welds look great! I would suggest welding a couple of scrap pieces, then cut weld in half and make sure you are getting good penetration before doing the bumper. If so you may have missed your calling.

Comment

Plain steel works fine for a long time. Its cheaper to replace in a few years than buy AR500

Comment

If that is your first time welding, you are ahead of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X