Ideas for a snake skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for a snake skin

I shot a 5'7" rattle snake last year after walking right up to it on my way back to the truck. I got it in the freezer ASAP and have been waiting to do something with it. I am going to thaw it out and tan it next week, and will be at camp for a while surrounded by mesquite. I'd like to get a big mesquite branch and make a plaque, but have never done this before.

Any tips/tricks for a good plaque? Has anyone here ever done one for a snake or something similar?

No pictures, but made one for a buddy who killed a decent sized rattler. When applying your tanning solution, staple the snake to a piece of wood or cardboard so his skin doesn't roll up on the edges. I just put it on a walnut stained 2x6 for him because thats all he wanted. Next one I will do will be on a more weathered board. Like this:

You can also use a board, and outline the snake with felt. Kind of like this. But where the black felt is, I would use a board.

Comment

I am told that it's easy to tan that sucker with the yellow antifreeze...

Comment

I killed a 42" a few weeks ago in my backyard. Scraped the skin until the meat was all gone and then submerged it in a mason jar with a 50-50 solution of glycerin and rubbing alcohol. Easy tanning. Plan to tack it to a cedar plank.

Comment

Working...
        X