Anyone replace trailer axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone replace trailer axle?

Looks like I am going to have to replace the axle on the home made trailer I bought.. Does anyone know what I measure to make sure I get the right one? I have a few pics if someone can post.. I have never done anything like this before.. The leaf springs are one the axle with a single bolt thur it will I still beable to use them with a u shaped hanger kit?

anyone

Comment

Easy to follow information about how to properly measure a trailer axle for replacement or for building a new trailer. Consult your trailer owners manual if replacing an OEM axle for proper specifications.

Comment

center to center of the spring perch...then the rear side of the hub flange to trailer edge.

Comment

what is spring perch?

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
            what is spring perch?
            the perch is welded to the axle where the leaf springs sit.

Comment

ahh theres nothing there just a threaded stud that the springs bolt to can anyone post a pic?

Comment

Comment

what is the spring center needed for? Wouldnt I just buy another axle that is the same length tip to tip?

Comment

so, no springs?

Comment

We need pic's

Comment

Measure the width of the floor of the trailer. If it is a standard width then it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement. Tractor Supply carries different sizes. Just make sure of the weight of the axle (ex. 3500#, 5500# etc.) matches. That could change the size tire and rims.

Comment

Some good advice here http://www.championtrailers.com/how-...-trailer-axle/
                          Pics would be nice to be of more help as others have said

Comment

Inside of hub to inside of hub. So measure from the back of one hub across to the other back.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                              Inside of hub to inside of hub. So measure from the back of one hub across to the other back.
                              This ^^^ is what I do. I will buy an axle the same width or a bit wider if I have to. Another option is to buy the spindles and pipe and make your own axle. Buy the weld on spring perches to. Once you have you axle matched up, get your spring perches match and welded in place. Once all that is done it shoud be easy line the axle up. I take a fishing weight on a string and tape it to center of ball hitch in trailer and let it hang down. Your spring perches should be slotted and allow movement. Take your measure from same point on each side of axle to the sting(plumb bob). Get those as close you can and tighten everything up. Should pull straight. Do not make the mistake of measuring from axle to front of trailer frame. To often frames are not square and you will run into problems.
                              Just out of curiousity why will you have to replace the axle? What happened
                              Last edited by brushtrooper; 11-20-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X