High Rack for Chevy 1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Rack for Chevy 1500

Fun little welding project. It weighs about 120 pounds and mounts up on the bed rails. The rack bolts down to the bed anchors with large ratchet straps, and is rock solid once secured in place.

We designed it to be light enough for two people to lift it in and out of the truck. 4 feet from the truck bed to the base of the rack and about 12 feet from my eye level to the ground.

Designed to be tall enough to fit dog boxes in the bed - under the rack.

The materials used were as follows:

Humvee roof rack from army/navy surplus store
    2 Academy boat seats, swivel bases, mounting hardware
    1'' Square tubing & 2'' Angle Iron
    4 large ratchet straps

Because of the weight concerns, I want any additional modifications or additions to be removable. I ordered an ATV gun rack to mount on the front rail, but need some suggestions on storage baskets for binos/gear/beverages ect.

We were going to build a gun basket out of square tubing and expanded metal, but after mounting it up there - i don't want to affix any more permanent weight!.

I was thinking about using milk crates, and zip tying them to the top corners?

Thanks for checking it out.
    -walker
    Attached Files
    Last edited by walker1983; 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM.

Nice score on the surplus rack. Milk crates would be a good light weight solution and you could always use hose clamps if you needed it a little stronger. As for the beverage holders, the possibilities are endless...you could use anything from a ram mount with swivel coozie to a cut piece of PVC with cap, or even the inside of a roll of duct tape (the cardboard piece).

I'd also add a long skinny basket on the sides for ammo, spot light, etc...that way it'd be within arms reach while sitting down.

Comment

Did you get the roof rack from Omaha's?

Comment

Working...
      X