Knifemaker needing critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knifemaker needing critique

After seeing some of the great knifemakers of TBH I decided I wanted in on the hobby. It's a true art. It's turned out so well it manages to pay for a few textbooks every semester. I've gone from really bad, to better, and then to even better. The only way this will continue is if I get honest criticism. So I'm asking for any sort of helpful critique you can give me on these knives. Nothing is for sale. I don't sell here. Jankowski, chops, sticshooter, sims, or any of the other makers I'd really appreciate if you chimed in and let me know your thoughts. Be gentle.

outstanding!!

Comment

The one thing that really stands out to me (that I like), is the shape of the handles.

I really like the round-ness. I can't stand a custom knife that has a squared looking handle. To me, a square handle looks like a cheap Wal-Mart steak knife.

I think they look very nice.

Comment

I agree with Texastaxi. I am not a fat of the square handles at all. But different strokes for different folks.
        Any other pictures of #3? I really like knife numbers 3, 4, and 5. I would like one with the blade of #3 and the handle of #4. PM me what that would run with dimensions por favor.

Comment

Overall a nice piece of workmanship. I like the blade design and the work with the pins. Not a fan of what looks like an unfinished handle to me. It just doesn't compliment the artistry and care that went into the remainder of the knife. Looks unfinished to me.

Comment

Awesome work! I thought about getting into this as well, but just don't have the time and space right now. Got a project car I need to get back on the road before I decide to take up another hobby. I love #3!! Also like the blades on #2 and #4 and like the handle on #6. Some great work there for sure. Keep it up and post up new ones as you complete them. Even if you aren't selling them here, we all enjoy checking out new knives.

Comment

Nice! I really like that last one

Comment

They all look great; what defines a good knife maker is the quality of the steel, how well it's been heat treated and tempered. Knowing what the grain structure is doing inside the blade. Does it hold and edge, does it flex will it perform under serious conditions, how much torque does it take before snapping..
                That's my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                  They all look great; what defines a good knife maker is the quality of the steel, how well it's been heat treated and tempered. Knowing what the grain structure is doing inside the blade. Does it hold and edge, does it flex will it perform under serious conditions, how much torque does it take before snapping..
                  That's my two cents worth.
                  I'm with Bob here. It looks like you have the basics down well. The next move in the progression is to focus on learning heat treat, or improve your HT by outsourcing. Most of us started with files, rasps, springs, or "whatever." At some point, if you want to keep progressing, you should try some known steel and see how that works. I'd bet that the performance of your knives will improve.

The second move, that can be carried out simultaneously with the first, is to work on fit and finish. Your stuff looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell from internet pics. The details get smaller and smaller... look for the scratches, and fix them. Look for the gaps, and fix them. Make each knife better than the last one.

Finally, a suggestion that's just my opinion. I think you'll get better cutting performance if you'll thin out the knives a little. Take the flat grinds nearly up to the spine, and leave the edge thinner before you sharpen. They look a little thick in the pictures. Even if you are going for the scandi or saber ground look, thin the actual edge out a bit before the secondary bevel. By the time I have a knife polished and ready to sharpen, I want the edge nearly sharp. 1/3 a dime thickness behind the edge isn't too thin for a hunting knife.

You're well on the way!

Comment

They all look bueno to me!

Comment

Thanks everyone this is exactly the information I was looking for. I really do appreciate it. I certainly feel confident about sharpness, and I've been getting good reports on edge retention. I heat treat my own 1095 and those have been doing well. I'll know more this deer season when I get report back from my customers. I've got lots of learning to do on the little things (such as finish) still, but progress is being made.

Comment

Agreed with all here and these are some good looking blades. It appears a few of the tips may have broke off or been ground off which can also result in the ht process. Think about your overall layout as to where pins might go when doing bolsters like on the second blade. The only other thing from these pics that raise a question for me would be the thong hole on the last knife...appears to have wood in it but it could be the photograph. Forge on!

Comment

Overall nice work. I realy like the look of the 4&5 knife that were displayed.

Comment

Very nice, I love the pattern on the blade of the last knife. The only thing I've got(and its killing me to say anything negative about such amazing knifes) and this is just me, I'm not a fan of gold color on anything.

Comment

That knife is a work of art!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X