45ACP Shot Shell how to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45ACP Shot Shell how to.

These shells are hard to come by these days. And the die set is rare to find as well. So here is a how to, using info and equipment I learned from multiple people who shared it online.

Dies needed for this:
    45 ACP decapping and sizing die. Doesn't matter the brand. I'm using rcbs.
    41 magnum SEAT die. I'm using rcbs.
    45 ACP bullet seat die, I'm using the Lee die.*this die is the crimp for shotshell. The bullet screw is wider then the rcbs ones. And it makes a difference.
    *Lee bullet seat screw from this die is modified a bit to make it work. You will need to remove the bullet screw. Use a polishing rock and a Dremel tool. It's the round one that looks like a dum dum sucker. Polish in the bowl until the edge is gone. Then set a ball peen hammer in the end of the bowl and tap the ball peen with another hammer to flare the edge of the screw. If you flare it to much. You can sand it back down so it will fit snug in the Lee seat die. Basically what you want to do is remove the gap by the side wall of the die and bullet seat screw. Once this is done. The die will crimp the case without issues. If you do not do this step. You will crush the case every time.

Bullet case is a 308. There are others that can be used. However most of the people who have done this say 308 is the closest in size so you do not wear out your extractor or tear the case rim.

Primer: Large Pistol primer, it will counter sink just a tad. Nothing to worry about though.

Powders
    Accurate No5 6.5 or 7gr
    W231 6gr
    Unique 6gr
    700x 4.5gr

Lead shot 90 to 115gr depending on shot size.
    I used 7-1/2 lead shot

So let's get on with the party.....
    First you mark your case 308 case.

They say to cut it between 1.18 to 1.20, I. It mine at 1.195

To cut the case, I think it's cleaner to use a tubing cutter. However you can use what ever works. As long as its strait.

Next you will use the de burr tool and clean up the cut.

Next you will deprime and size the case using the 45acp decapping/size die.

Next clean out the case and primer pocket.

Next using the 41 mag SEAT die with the bullet screw removed. The seat die has more of a tapered edge so the case goes in easy. You may want to lube the case to make it smoother. Also you do not stroke this one all the way. You run it up till you feel it bend just the edge. Then rotat the case 1/4 to 1/3 a turn then run it up again for a little bit more. Then back down and rotat it 1 more time. Then run it up all the way. This necks down the case evenly.
    Adjusting this die to your pistols head space will take a bit to get it necked down to the right space. After your die is set. You can neck down with 3 short strokes with 1/3 turns of the case to a full stroke. Then it will be fully necked down.
    Testing it with the barrel of the pistol is important.

Here is s shot of how much I necked till I got the head space perfect for my pistols barrel.

And you can check it with a gauge. I did both.

Now once you get it necked down you can prime the case.

Charge it with powder. I used 7gr of accurate no5

Cardboard disc. I used the paper from a primer box and a .40 bullet case.
    Used the de burr tool to sharpen the .40 case and put it in a drill. Pushed it down on the primer box paper and cut the disc out.
    Put the cardboard disc in the case on top of the powder. Use a ball point pen to pack it in.

Next put your lead shot in just shy of the lip of the case.

Put another cardboard disc on top of the shot.

Now you will use the 45acp Lee bullet seat die with the modified seat screw to crimp roll the case.

After you get a nice crimp on the end. Go back to your 41mag SEAT die.
    This will resize the neck back down just incase the roll crimp flared the necked area. Some case you will feel it resize back down after the roll crimp. So I do them all just to make sure I don't get a stuck shell.

Then you end with something like this. This is a picture of the 6th one I made.
    Well that's about all I can think of. If anyone has questions. I will eventually reply when I see the post.

Here is a group shot. You can see they got better each time. Although they are just a tad shorter then the factory shotshell. I think they will work fine.
    Last edited by tx07; 06-05-2015, 11:19 PM.

Wow! Shot one yet? Will it cycle?
    Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
    l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
    ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Nice
      I'll take a dozen.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

need to tag myself for this!!!! thank you!

Comment

the heck are you using these for that you need to reload them? I've got a couple boxes for snakes when camping but never crossed my mind to reload them. Good right up.

Comment

Tagged for later. Have you fired them yet, any cycling issues?

Comment

Fired all 6. And the fired ones can be reloaded. Simply use 45 ACP decap/ size die then 41 mag seat die, and last the modified 45 Lee bullet seat die to roll crimp again. Also after the roll crimp. Go back to the 41 mag seat die to form the neck again. Just in case the roll crimp distorts any.

No hangs, however you do have to jack each shell out and let the next in. They feed by hand .
                Best I can figure is case length needs to be a little shorter. Or maybe need to use a tighter wad to create more gas pressure to cause the case to kick back enough to eject. Possibly a combination of both?
                I will continue to work with them and see what I can do.

Also I would like to say. It only cost .14 cents a shell to make using free brass.
                That's $1.40 a box of 10.
                I would do that over $14 a box any day and deal with manual ejection until I get it working.
                Last edited by tx07; 06-08-2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sutherpride59 View Post
                  the heck are you using these for that you need to reload them? I've got a couple boxes for snakes when camping but never crossed my mind to reload them. Good right up.
                  1. To shoot snakes,
                  2. Save money
                  3. Have fun and tinker making something to share with you brother .

Comment

thats purty smart right there. Nice explanation and pics

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Working...
                      X