Boat Deck Refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Deck Refinish

After warriors weekend I decided the deck of my bay boat needed a little attention before the summer fishing really got going for me. There were a few spots where some of the deck screws were working their way up through the gelcoat and had begun to rust. With the understanding that eventually I'll just have the whole deck replaced, at which time I'll change the layout of it a little, I decided that for now I'll give it a new face and hold it over for a couple of years. I didn't get any pics of the repair work or detailed pics of the recoat, but you get the idea.
    First thing to do was get to all the raised screws, removed them, replace with new ones, sand the area down and fiberglass over them. There were also a few spots that the gelcoat was just cracking real bad so I sanded those down as well. Next was to remove everything from the deck, from the trolling motor, tie downs, hatches, and leaning post. I removed all of the marine caulk and sanded those areas down a little.
    Next step was to scrub the entire surface with a dewaxer to remove the wax sealant from the gelcoat. Once the deck had been scrubbed and wiped clean, everything was taped off. Next step was to get the sanding started, roughing the whole deck with 180 grit. Here are some pics of the boat after I got some of the patching done with the fiberglass to give you an idea of what I started with

I got one gallon of the gelcoat mixed up the the color I wanted, then rolled it on one pint at a time, this stuff seems to set up pretty quick. Once it git real tacky I went back over it with the textured roller to get a good texture to it.

I let that sit for a few hours and harden. Once I was ready to move on I got the rest of my materials ready. A second gallon of white gelcoat with the color mixed into it as well as the surfacing wax since this would be the final coat. I also mixed up the neutral gelcoat with black coloring, surfacing wax and a webbing solution. Second coat was rolled on with some texturing done when it got a little tacky. I immediately started the webbing as well with a paint gun so the two coats would dry together. Here is the final product

good job

Comment

well done, looks great!

Comment

I like it. Looks good

Comment

That turned out great. I like that color.

Start posting pics of fish when you catch em.

Comment

Working...
          X