convert truck tool box to a big grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

convert truck tool box to a big grill

It appears no one is in the market for a truck tool box. So I have been kicking the idea around of turning it into a big grill. I am curious if any has done this. I was for some ideas and maybe even pics from a conversion already done.
    My box is a RKI over rail mount for a full size truck, full chest lid style so its not going to be all that hard I think. Any idea's from the green screen brain trust?

This basically what I got
    Attached Files

Nothing that's not obvious. I wonder if you relocated the gas shocks to the exterior edges if they'd hold up

Comment

I am sure the shocks would melt even if on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
        Nothing that's not obvious. I wonder if you relocated the gas shocks to the exterior edges if they'd hold up
        Those are not gas shocks.... Those are just springs on a metal rod.

Comment

Thin metal+high heat=wasted time and tool box.

Comment

I don't see it holding up to the heat...you switch directions and make it into a sausage smoker though.

Comment

If you built a fire box underneath it that could withstand the heat or house your smoke, then cut a hole in the base, you might get somewhere. But that thin wall (I know it's been said) will just burn out in the high heat of a grill.

Comment

I did it but the tool box is an older job site type box. Thicker steel than a truck box. Works really well.

Comment

It finally sold today. I did find some interesting ideas for a smoker for jerky etc.
                  Thanks for all the input. One less project on the list now.

Comment

Dang. Was hoping to see this done. I had this idea years ago. The lip in most boxes would be great for a shelf/rack. They are thicker than store bought smokers so a firebox would have probably made this work.

Comment

Working...
                    X