New and Old knife making questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
    Looks good Bob, my weak side is my left side, I've always started grinding on the right side first, I'll try what you said and see if it helps.

Thanks for the pointer.
    You is sure welcome my brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
      Like Chop said stay with freehand.. if you can get some practice material start out slow and easy if your blade is an upswept follow the contour of the blade. The trick is to try to keep your grind symmetrical from your plunge cut to the tip... You also have a strong side and a weak side start off with your weak side and match it with the strong side. Depends if your right or left handed.
      Here’s a good example of the grind following the edge. I made this one for a customer on Facebook.

Remember how hard it was to learn to ride a bike and it got easier and easier? Same thing here, spend some time in on the grinder.
      The only jig I use is one I made to drill out my scales with the blade on top..
      Appreciate it! So far, I'm sticking with the freehand as it's all I really have anyway. I think a couple of simple adjustments to my setup will allow me to get a better base in which to hold a steady motion across the blade. That seems to be the biggest problem. The first knife I made was all free and has sort of been my training ground to see what it's all about. I'm enjoying it though.

My goal right now is to make custom knives for my closest friends and some family members. I'm investing in a used belt sander, which I hope will let me improve on the quality of my bevel's.

Next up will be finding some 'great' steel to work with.

Comment

If you would I need an answer. When cutting out a blank on a laser, how much larger should I cut it?

Comment

Originally posted by wanderin39 View Post
          If you would I need an answer. When cutting out a blank on a laser, how much larger should I cut it?
          I sure don't know I've never done that before; I don't know what all that heat would do to the steel. Not sure how hot it gets.

Comment

Tim H; when you get ready to buy some good steel buy it from Aldo..

New Jersey Steel Baron is a New Jersey-based Steel Manufacturer whose motto is "Quality Steel For Quality Blades". Visit NJSB at the shop online to get premium products from the best of the best in the business.

Comment

Dang Bob it sounds like you've done this before!

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                Dang Bob it sounds like you've done this before!

Yes I have Tim; I'm working on my second knife.

Comment

Any reason this won't work for establishing a good bevel edge?

$44
                  Attached Files

Comment

It'll work and take LOTS of practice, but won't be the prettiest bevel you could make.

Comment

Working...
                    X