Scales, and more scales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scales, and more scales!

It's good to know people who build custom furniture and even better if you give them a knife to cut themselves out of their waders if they fill up with water and drag you down the river!

Zebra Wood
    Attached Files

Bolivian rosewood, shimmers in the light so sweet

Soooo nice
    Attached Files

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Cali buckeye

This I bought on eBay but cut it at his shop, looking good so far
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
          Huh?
          Knife handle material

Comment

Nice score.

I just discovered a store called Woodcraft. They have tons of slabs of exotic woods cheap! For what I used to pay for 2 sets of scales I can get a slab that I can make 10+ sets. They also have tons of spalted and burl woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
              Nice score.

I just discovered a store called Woodcraft. They have tons of slabs of exotic woods cheap! For what I used to pay for 2 sets of scales I can get a slab that I can make 10+ sets. They also have tons of spalted and burl woods.
              Sweet, I think there is one of those around here too just haven't been able to locate them yet.

Comment

The Woodcraft in Austin Texas has a lot of wood, but their prices are way too high.

Comment

Got one just around the corner from work. I've been buying my last several blocks of stabilized blocks from them. They will even rip them down the middle for you if they don't have a class going on in the shop. I've thought about buying a few slabs of different woods and cutting them up to scale size with the table saw. But I'm waiting until I get a stabilizing chamber before I start doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                    Got one just around the corner from work. I've been buying my last several blocks of stabilized blocks from them. They will even rip them down the middle for you if they don't have a class going on in the shop. I've thought about buying a few slabs of different woods and cutting them up to scale size with the table saw. But I'm waiting until I get a stabilizing chamber before I start doing that.
                    Get a pickle jar!

Comment

a buddy brought me a redwood burl back from California.cost 20 buck and I should get maybe 10 sets out or it

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                        a buddy brought me a redwood burl back from California.cost 20 buck and I should get maybe 10 sets out or it
                        Good deal send some my way!!!

Comment

if they come out good I sure will

Comment

I get my mesquite burl for free--friend has a mesquite furniture business and I go prowl thru his burn pile--lots of beautiful burls in pieces too small for furniture but plenty big for knife scales and pistol grips.

Rockler is another woodwork store with nice wood specimens--but pricey as well. There is one in Ft. Worth and one in Houston--

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                              The Woodcraft in Austin Texas has a lot of wood, but their prices are way too high.
                              Too high? Are you looking at the raw slabs or the stabilized stuff? I agree the stabilized stuff is high but the raw stuff is the cheapest stuff I have found...

Comment

Working...
                              X