MIG or stick welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIG or stick welder?

I've been thinking about a welder. No special projects in mind, but I am a knifemaker, so I'll come up with some. I've welded maybe 2 hours with a stick rig, never used a MIG. I've read up on both a little. I have 220 v in the shop, and want a mid-range welder. I'm stuck between a 180 class MIG vs. an AC/DC stick welder. Any opinions?

Mig.

Comment

Mig is much more user friendly for the novice welder.

Comment

Mig would be the way to go

Comment

Mig 100%

Comment

both

Comment

I hate to but in, but what about flux core mig vs stick

Comment

Mig

Comment

mig

Comment

If you learn on a stick, mig will be simple to pick up later. Learn on a mig, stick won't come as easy. It's kind of like learning to play the guitar on an acoustic vs. electric.

Comment

I have both because they both have their place.

Comment

Look at the thermal arc brand they sell a machine that will do both. And TIG if you buy the gun.

I have both stick and might in my shop and they both have their advantages.

Comment

And I have very little experience with Flux core but don't really like it.

Some one else will know better that has used it more.

Comment

Mig hands down, in a shop environment the mig is a lot more user friendly especially when welding thinner material. A stick has it's place but for a single welder shop IMO a mig would be my only choice.
                            As far as a flux core mig goes they weld just fine but the splattering they create requires more clean up and time involved to have a nice looking finished product. In an outdoor environment they are better due to the wind but that's about the only time I would use one. I have one or two of each and the gas mig is what's used 95% of the time.

Comment

IMO mig.

If u need a mig it should be copper wire and gas in a shop environment.

If u need flux core wire a stick welder would serve u better more than likely.

For a one welder show in a farm use application a gas machine stick is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X