I just hit the mother load....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foot Patrol View Post
    Kevin you might want to coat the wood quickly with Anchorseal if you have not already done it yet. Otherwise it could dry to fast and you will get a lot of cracking. As good as that looks you don't want to loose any of it.

If you have a log you want to sell I would be interested it.

BTW I got my forge today. Looking forward to starting her up in the morning.

Foot
    I'll be cutting it up Friday, and sealing, I'll probably use wax. As far as selling goes it's probably already spoken for, if I have any extra I'll let you know.

Comment

After doing some research I'm going to do what foot patrol suggested and use anchorseal. I'll pick it up Friday from wood craft.

Thanks

Comment

Yes better use some anchorseal or similar to coat so it doesn't check real bad. I once used a large jumbo size of Elmer's school glue to coat the end grain and it worked well. That's a wicked piece of wood and after drying will make some great stock.

Comment

I'd be interested in a knife made of this.

Comment

I just hit the mother load....

That is cool. Did something cause that or does that type of tree naturally grow like that? Forgive my ignorance...I grew up in the Panhandle, I don't know trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
              That is cool. Did something cause that or does that type of tree naturally grow like that? Forgive my ignorance...I grew up in the Panhandle, I don't know trees.
              it's actually decay, that's why my neighbor had it taken down.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                That is some wicked skillz right there amigo...I had no idea you were the craftsman, nor did I think such a fast growing tree could produce such beauty.

Is the wood itself considered dense?? I thought fast growing (overall weak trees) didn't have these characteristics. Hackberries are the first to come crashing down in high winds & I never saw this sort of beauty from the root / core area.

I'm impressed.
                Actually I make my living as an ornamental and artistic metal worker, working with wood is a pain in the butt for me. I don't post any of my metal work as I'm not a sponsor.

Comment

Can i put in an ordee for an EDC now, we can dicuss design later?

Comment

awesome awesome awesome

Comment

Kevin I am glad you decided to put anchor seal on it. The stuff is like a liquid wax and will soak into the wood slightly to seal off the end cuts. If you want it to dry faster, cut it into slabs about 2 inches thick. There will be some shrinkage over time. With this method the wood should take a year per inch to dry to the moisture levels needed to stabilize. You want the moisture level to be less than 10%.

Please keep me mind should you want to sell off a nice piece. I now have a large wood collection but do not have hackberry.

Foot

Comment

I would be interested in some to help off set all those expenses.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

I did a bunch of cutting today.

sealing it up now.

Comment

Oh, I've got about 20 more on the side of the house I need to seal tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X