No announcement yet.

Big blind build...all metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry fellas, I got the sheet at Metal Mart in Alvin, but they have several locations across the state from what I saw. It was very reasonably priced as I only paid a little over $200 for the entire blind, mind you the blind is 5x6. That's all four sides plus the roof. It's like a water transfer camo so it won't just peel off.

If you order it in bulk sheets, it comes 41 9/16" x 10'. I was able to order the length I wanted instead of 10' but they all come the same width. Just had to figure out how I wanted to piece it together...and then bought a sheering tool at harbor freight that cut it like butter to do the windows and cut the width I needed on some other pieces.

Comment

how about the corner trim? metal mart? or is it just a strip cut from the sheet metal?

Comment

Did you put wood under the carpet on the walls and ceiling? How did you attach the carpet?

Comment

The trim were pieces cut off of the two sheets I had for either side of the door. Metal mart did the cuts for me and made the corner trim with their machine. They only charged $1 per cut and $1 per bend. Well worth the small $8 fee since I learned that this stuff isn't easy to bend even though it's fairly thin. It's 26g sheet but trying to bend the roof over was a chore, even with a small sledge and heavy mallet.

As for the carpet on the walls, I am probably going to change that up next time, if ever, I put something like this together. On this piece I had to cut each individual square opening to size then just used some heavy duty construction adhesive that came in a caulk like tube and stuck it on there. Not much for insulation but with no wind at all getting in besides the windows and a portable heater inside, this thing should heat up quick enough to make my wife happy. If I were to do it again, I would cut the carpet to the whole size of the sheet before I attached it to the frame. Would have saved a lot of time I think and much less labor.

Comment

Oh there is 3/4" plywood on the floor and I didn't attach the carpet to it...that way I can always take it out and clean it if need be once I'm sure some mud and other things get brought in.

Comment

I'm envious...

Comment

that's an awesome blind. You need to start taking orders

Comment

Did you sheath the exterior in plywood before adding the sheet metal?

Comment

Grinding in slippers...Classic!

Comment

Nice blinds!

Comment

I'm curious about the extra brace below the windows? & I am assuming the roof is one piece?

Did MM have any other camo patterns?

Comment

Originally posted by ACook View Post
                          Did you sheath the exterior in plywood before adding the sheet metal?
                          No, didnt line it with plywood, just put the metal on the tubing. ended up working out well, I love hunting out of it.

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                          Grinding in slippers...Classic!
                          Yea man I learned a few lessons while building this one. Im short one big toe nail now, lol.

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                          I'm curious about the extra brace below the windows? & I am assuming the roof is one piece?

Did MM have any other camo patterns?
                          The extra base below the windows is what I used to attach some plywood to so I could put in the shelf and to attach the two metal panels on the outside. The sheets only come 41 9/16" wide so I had to put a brace somewhere. And no the roof is in two pieces due to the width restriction, but it is caulked in between, screwed down with the same screw/rubber washer combo, then caulked again on the outside.

Comment

oh and no they didnt have any other patterns at the time. I would like to find some though so Im checking around to see what I can find

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheky View Post
                                The extra base below the windows is what I used to attach some plywood to so I could put in the shelf and to attach the two metal panels on the outside. The sheets only come 41 9/16" wide so I had to put a brace somewhere. And no the roof is in two pieces due to the width restriction, but it is caulked in between, screwed down with the same screw/rubber washer combo, then caulked again on the outside.
                                Oh.....DUH. I went back and looked at the pics, and now I see the seam.

I like the heck out of this blind. Might just have to build one.

Comment

Working...
                                X