Redneck Air Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I built one of these the other day and got minimum results from it. I used a 5gal bucket, spray on insulation (since I could not find a styrofoam insert), 1gal frozen milk jug, and a 9" fan. I drilled out two 1 1/2" holes for it to blow out of. The air coming out was cool (not cold like the video) and I was disappointed at the amount of low flow that the fan was putting out of the 2 holes.

Thinking about trying it again but on an old 48qt cooler and hoping for better results.
    We had a similar experience. I really think it's a humidity issue.

Comment

Couldn't resist.

Comment

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Now my wheels are turning....
            Flow has to be as much as the fan will produce to be beneficial or you'll get blowback and poor cooling.
            instead of blowing across the top of ice, blow through a thin walled submerged galvanized tube of ice water mix, with rock salt in it.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
              Now my wheels are turning....
              Flow has to be as much as the fan will produce to be beneficial or you'll get blowback and poor cooling.
              instead of blowing across the top of ice, blow through a thin walled submerged galvanized tube of ice water mix, with rock salt in it.
              Huh

Comment

I haven't made one, but this is my thinking...tell me your thoughts?

Having the fan outside the cooler, you're just sucking hot air into the cooler. You're still getting cooler air blowing out, but at the same time, that hot air is just melting your ice faster and also mixing the hot air with the cold air inside the cooler.

Why not make it where the fan is inside the cooler? Now you're sucking cold air instead of hot air, allowing your ice to last longer and your exiting air to be cooler.

Wouldn't that work, or am I missing something?
                Last edited by Sleepy; 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Redneck Air Conditioner

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                  I haven't made one, but this is my thinking...tell me your thoughts?

Having the fan outside the cooler, you're just sucking hot air into the cooler. You're still getting cooler air blowing out, but at the same time, that hot air is just melting your ice faster and also mixing the hot air with the cold air inside the cooler.

Why not make it where the fan is inside the cooler? Now you're sucking cold air instead of hot air, allowing your ice to last longer and your exiting air to be cooler.

Wouldn't that work, or am I missing something?

However much air is coming out, the exact same amount is coming in. The theory of displacement.

If the ice is melting fast, it's cooling the air fast. Either need less air or more ice.

Comment

I used an ice chest because were using it at a booth at the farmers market on the weekend. Don't have to worry about mobility or space. It holds more ice and milk jugs. It blows cool air and is a great relief just to lower your head in front of it. Not really using it to cool an area.

Comment

I need to make one.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                        Huh

If you submerge a tube in an icy bath, you have mucho surface area to transfer heat from the air to the cold surface. Salt will actually lower the temp of the water in the bath. Also like moser said, it's a displacement thing. If your tube out is not big enough to accommodate all that your fan can blow, the inside will pressure up and a lot of air will come back out the fan side reducing your cold air flow.

Comment

Seems I remember hot air rises and cold air drops. Why not flip the fan around so you are drawing warm air in the sides and blowing cool-cold air up. That way you are cooling the warmer air. Applicable for a blind/stand.

In my truck when I first get in, I aim my vents up towards the headliner and it seem to cool off quicker.

I know one Bowhican that will be buying a bucket, solar powered fan and some dry ice for his deer stand.

LOTB

Comment

great idea

Comment

Good one I am going to build one for my pop up this October.

Comment

guess I found something to do with a couple old coolers that needed new hinges and latches........

Comment

Working...
                                X