Solar panel charger for trolling motor battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panel charger for trolling motor battery

This is not really a true diy because the solar panel is assembled but I did build a stand for it with some lumber I had laying around.

My boat is out at my property with no way to charge the trolling motor battery after I use it on the lake. This will charge the battery in about 2 days.

It's a 50W panel with a controller mounted underneath to shut the charging off when it's full.

hands free and green!

Comment

Are you selling it or just showing it to us?

Comment

Just showing you guys in case someone needed to charge something without electricity.

This panel came in a kit from amazon and gets great reviews. It was $129 for the kit...which includes the panel, controller, and about 15 feet of wire.

I looked at the cheaper panels at academy and they just don't have the juice to charge a big battery. 40-50W panels will charge them in no time.

Comment

That will work great for charging your battery but it won't come close to charging a drained battery in two days unless you are using a battery that it rated at 40 AH or under and most good trolling motor batteries are 100 AH or above. I'm sure that probably wont be a problem but just to let you know it will probably take about 5 days to charge a drained trolling motor battery.

Comment

Nice rig!

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              That will work great for charging your battery but it won't come close to charging a drained battery in two days unless you are using a battery that it rated at 40 AH or under and most good trolling motor batteries are 100 AH or above. I'm sure that probably wont be a problem but just to let you know it will probably take about 5 days to charge a drained trolling motor battery.
              You are right when talking about a fully drained battery. I have a 115 AH battery and that 50W solar panel puts out 3amps per hour. I don't run my batteries down to zero because that severely diminishes their life. There is probably 40% left in them on average.

Two days would get me very close to fully charged assuming that there is good sunlight for 10 hours a day. I was amazed at how much the panel was still outputting even as the sun was almost setting (2.5 amps).

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Working...
                X