Uni strut tower stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uni strut tower stand

Has anybody built a tower out of this stuff? We have a plastic 4x6 deer blind that needs a tower. We found this 1-5/8 x 1-5/8 at lowes that looks like it would be sturdy enough if it were X braced well. Any thoughts or ideas?

Unistrut isn't very sturdy. It may work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      I would use square tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        X2

Comment

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
          I would use square tubing.
          Yep. I bet the price difference isn't huge.

Comment

That stuff bends super easy. Would have to brace the heck out of it. Yes it could would.

Comment

Uni strut tower stand

I don't know what unistrut you guys are using that bends easy but the stuff we use at works would be plenty strong enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I don't know what unistrut you guys are using that bends easy but the stuff we use at works would be plenty strong enough.
                Idk. You'd have to brace it really well. The problem with unistrut is that it flexes. You can take a 10' stick, put one end a vice and you can twist the other end with your hand. Small pieces are pretty strong, or pieces that are well braced but the longer the piece the weaker it is. Welding it isn't very good because it's thin, and you have to grind it pretty good because the galvanized. Like I said, you could make it work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Comment

If it's 12 gauge it will work well. 14 gauge would be a little light.

How high are you talking?

Comment

The stuff im talking about is 12 gauge. I tried flexing it in the store and it wouldnt give.

Comment

I've made two ladder stands out of 12 ga unistrut. I did weld two together for each of the legs. Super strong.

Comment

Awe, I just don't care for welding galvanize. I'd use square tubing but I get it wholesale.

Comment

I made one it was about 8' tall I used double strut and 12 gauge would be your best bet.

Comment

Use strut nuts. Don't weld

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Use strut nuts. Don't weld
                              Weld. Don't use strut nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X