No announcement yet.

Question for the machinists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with the proper rigging we have turned many things on vertical mills here at work. but yes a lathe would be much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
      Could I mill a slot in the neighborhood of .050? I feel like that at that small of diameter, bit flex would be an issue but I admittedly know little about machining.
      You dont have to mill the slot with a regular end mill, you could use the slitting saw a .050" and cut the slot using the mill. There will be no issues with flexing if speed of the cutter and feed of the material into the saw are correct. A .050" end mill breaks just by looking at them lol.
      Last edited by doublearrow; 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
        You dont have to mill the slot with a regular end mill, you could use the slitting saw a .050" and cut the slot using the mill. There will be no issues with flexing if speed of the cutter and feed of the material into the saw are correct. A .050" end mill breaks just by looking at them lol.
        http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=251219309719
        A slitting saw is the way to go! You'll get a much cleaner cut than with a hack saw too.

Comment

I may have to give it a shot if I get a mill vise. Better yet I could try it at a friends shop.

Comment

Working...
          X