Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Cabinet Smoker

Anybody done one.....pics?

Never heard of it, did google it though.

Filing Cabinet Smoker: This Instructable covers how I made a Smoker (for smoking meats) from an old office filing cabinet. The end result is a smoker that has a drawer for the fire, and a couple drawers for meat. Its a direct smoker, much like the black cylindrical metal …

Pretty cool.

Comment

Interesting that's for sure...

Comment

do you label each drawer BEEF/PORK/CHICKEN?

Comment

Fine... Here you go.
          Attached Files

Comment

Smoked 10 racks of ribs & 5 pounds of boudin on it this weekend, can't tell you how perfectly it held temp. Don't be jealous RINCON!
            Attached Files

Comment

Use the old drawer sliders for the meat racks, of course they slide out real nice. Bottom drawer is the firebox. Have to add a damper control on the top next, just using a slide gate over a 6" hole for now. Soaked the whole thing in olive oil & vinegar before we got it super hot on the first fun.

Wife was real proud!
              Attached Files

Comment

Pics of interior
                Attached Files

Comment

Another pic
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sweet...but where is the food pics?

Comment

Do you have to use a "Fireproof" filing cabinet, or do the regular ones withstand the cooking heat?

Comment

i'd definitely sand it down...don't know what's in that paint they use in the factory.

Comment

and what did you use to make a good seal on the door?

Comment

Used a standard file cabinet, but it is a little older than most so its slightly thicker gauge than what you might see at Staples today. Plan to throw another layer of ATP diamond plate on the outside to keep a little more heat. Its good enough for now! Held 200 for over 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                              i'd definitely sand it down...don't know what's in that paint they use in the factory.
                              Good call. I did sand it down on the exterior & refinished with high temp grill paint. Inside was pretty bare, so I soaked whole interior with olive oil and got it red hot for a few hours to cook out any residue left over from manufacturing.

Comment

Working...
                              X