• Show
Clear All

Now what's best bait for yotes/cats?

Comment

Great information!

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        Now what's best bait for yotes/cats?
        Do some reading brother, its all in this thread!

Ok guy its the big day, we are fixing to run our two short coyote lines skin and prep what we catch and load up and head to Ardmore Oklahoma.

This sale will be..

95 coons
        1 otter
        3 fox
        2 bobcats
        8 beaver
        5 coyotes

I'll report back when I get back from oklahoma

Comment

Good luck with the sale, Dale....... I had one more coon this morning.

This is my last week trapping because the fur buyer will come Friday for the last time this year.
          I will pull all my traps Thursday evening.

Comment

Do y'all bait the sight couple days to get them coming an less weary then set trap?

Comment

Good luck with the sale man. Looking forward to reports.

Yanta,
              When did you start trapping your hunting property this year? Is the trapping about to become much more difficult as spring and summer come on?

My main goal is simply coyote and coon management, not looking for nice furs to sell.

Do y'all bait the sight couple days to get them coming an less weary then set trap?
              For me, I set trap when I bait it. Otherwise, what if a coyote comes and checks your bait, works the set, and doesn't get trapped. Now he worked a set for a piece of wool and a quarter sized piece of bait. Where will he go tomorrow night when he smells a fresh rabbit kill, or your small bait he is already familiar with? Just my thoughts.. Experience: 1 coyote

Comment

No i never prebait...Just set the trap and wait...

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                  Yanta,
                  When did you start trapping your hunting property this year? Is the trapping about to become much more difficult as spring and summer come on?

My main goal is simply coyote and coon management, not looking for nice furs to sell.
                  I started trapping this property a few weeks ago....Whatever day I posted the pics. Coyote will be more difficult to trap later in the year because they will stay close to their dens. If you can locate the area they are denning then you probably have a good shot at catching them. Coons I think stay the same year round. Once it gets hot they don't need to eat as much, so it might slow down a little.

I will probably keep one or two trap set on my property for a while longer just to lower the population. I'm tired of waking up every morning at 4:30, So I'm ready for a break. No use in spending my time and money trapping someone else’s property, if i don't at least get a chance to make money off the furs.

Comment

I will openly say..

Beaver will be the only thing I ever sell to a country buyer .

I was told what to expect on prices and I agreed to drive over a 100 miles to sell.

My fur has been thawing out for two days ...I knew it was a one way trip..

The buyer did not use lube....after I sold several other trappers loaded up and left and others had driven in from farther away than I did..buyer was a shady sob and even the two game wardens were pretty unhappy with him..

Comment

Who was the fur buyer tuff

Comment

Just got back to the house...

I sold furs to Jeb Hollingshead from Crowder, Oklahoma.(Okie trap and cable)

I just got off the phone with someone that somewhat knows him and was told that he gets 10-12 for green coons from him. He also said the minute he saw my Texas tags and how thawed my fur he knew he had me over a barrel.

We still made enough to cover our 407.00 trap order and the kids to have a couple hundred a piece..

We came away with about 600.00 less than what our fur was worth..

Next year EVERYTING except beaver will go to NAFA....

From now till the end of season we are going to concentrate on a few water lines hitting the beaver and start chasing mink for some spare change.

Our spring/summer ADC trapping plans are to keep pounding the coyotes and hogs.
                        Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 03-03-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                          Just got back to the house...

I sold furs to Jeb Hollingshead from Crowder, Oklahoma.(Okie trap and cable)

I just got off the phone with someone that somewhat knows him and was told that he gets 10-12 for green coons from him. He also said the minute he saw my Texas tags and how thawed my fur he knew he had me over a barrel.

We still made enough to cover our 407.00 trap order and the kids to have a couple hundred a piece..

We came away with about 600.00 less than what our fur was worth..
                          Glad you outed the guy

I saw his website when I was looking for some trapping related something, will never spend a dime with this company

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            Glad you outed the guy

I saw his website when I was looking for some trapping related something, will never spend a dime with this company
                            Give Nate at Buckstop(TBH sponsor) a call for traps... He has been great to do business with

Comment

Man hate to hear that! How much did you get for coons?

Comment

Wish I would have known some of these helpful hints the last/first time I sat a trap.

Comment

Working...
                                X