Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start of the 2 story blind....Here we go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
    Just curious, how many of these do you have ???
    I think they're pretty freagun' awesome.
    I assume you've had quite a it of success from these blinds.
    Going to be an awesome conversation piece for century's to come.
    Congratulations !
    If Im not mistaken this is the third one, and each one is cooler than the last!

I would do some bad things to hunt out of something like that all the time. Thanks for the update, always looking forward to them

Comment

tagging...great looking blind. Cant wait to see it finished. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
        Just curious, how many of these do you have ???
        I think they're pretty freagun' awesome.
        I assume you've had quite a it of success from these blinds.
        Going to be an awesome conversation piece for century's to come.
        Congratulations !
        This is the third one and all of them are different. I have had very good success from all of them and I'm hoping this one will be the same. The deer don't even pay attention to them anymore. That doesn't mean you can open the windows and wave your arms but if you are good at slowly opening a Deerview window and quietly drawing your bow, you can pretty much take your pick of whatever kind of critter is in front of you.

I spent a lot of hours in the second one (shack) this year and spent the night in there almost every Friday night during hunting season. I spent the night in there through both ice storms and snow that we had down there and it was great.

I've learned a lot about what works the best and I'm still learning. It's hard to get a 10"X36" horizontal window open on a deer that is 10-20 yards at ground level without them seeing the reflection on the glass move. The deeper you can inset the windows in the stone the better off you are. If you don't need a 36" long window, don't put it in. My favorite size is the 12"X12" so I have put them in the new two story blind except the three main second floor windows. I needed a little bit more vertical length to be able to shoot downward. According to my trail camera, all of the best deer on my place show up at this feeder early in the season before they all split up. If that holds true, I may be sleeping in that thing the night before opening day.

Thanks for all of the nice comments and looks. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm hurrying as fast as I can so I can load up the feeder and get out of there.

Comment

It looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            This thing is freaking AWESOME!
            This sums it up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
              This is the third one and all of them are different. I have had very good success from all of them and I'm hoping this one will be the same. The deer don't even pay attention to them anymore. That doesn't mean you can open the windows and wave your arms but if you are good at slowly opening a Deerview window and quietly drawing your bow, you can pretty much take your pick of whatever kind of critter is in front of you.

I spent a lot of hours in the second one (shack) this year and spent the night in there almost every Friday night during hunting season. I spent the night in there through both ice storms and snow that we had down there and it was great.

I've learned a lot about what works the best and I'm still learning. It's hard to get a 10"X36" horizontal window open on a deer that is 10-20 yards at ground level without them seeing the reflection on the glass move. The deeper you can inset the windows in the stone the better off you are. If you don't need a 36" long window, don't put it in. My favorite size is the 12"X12" so I have put them in the new two story blind except the three main second floor windows. I needed a little bit more vertical length to be able to shoot downward. According to my trail camera, all of the best deer on my place show up at this feeder early in the season before they all split up. If that holds true, I may be sleeping in that thing the night before opening day.

Thanks for all of the nice comments and looks. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm hurrying as fast as I can so I can load up the feeder and get out of there.
              Thanks for the feedback and answering my questions.

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm truly amazed.

Someone else earlier in the thread commented on what kind of conversations that will occur for many many many decades from now about these structures. Just really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                That doesn't mean you can open the windows and wave your arms but if you are good at slowly opening a Deerview window and quietly drawing your bow, you can pretty much take your pick of whatever kind of critter is in front of you.

Deer are now used to being waved at... The lil guy was so excited the first time they came in he waived at them for like 35 minutes... I tried to get him to stop but in his excitement there was no use. The windows were closed but they never even looked over at us. Lol. Maybe I can find a pic of him waiving at his first deer.

Edit... Found one Lol.
                Last edited by Coach W; 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Just seeing this thread and read through it all. Missed my bedtime too!! lol

That is one awesome blind/house and can't wait to check out the Alamo and shack tomorrow.

Congrats and good luck.

Comment

Very impressive!!

Comment

Every other blind on the planet is now the equivalent of a strip mall.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

Deer are now used to being waved at... The lil guy was so excited the first time they came in he waived at them for like 35 minutes... I tried to get him to stop but in his excitement there was no use. The windows were closed but they never even looked over at us. Lol. Maybe I can find a pic of him waiving at his first deer.

Edit... Found one Lol.
                        You don't know how happy I am that you took him down there and he got to see animals that close. The shack is the perfect blind for kids. We all know that their attention span is almost non existent and they are going to move around a lot and make noise. I've had my grandson in there a couple of times while hunting and it sure put it to the test.
                        I hope he's hooked for life now!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                          Every other blind on the planet is now the equivalent of a strip mall.
                          I agree.. And I build blinds for a living... Crazy good...

Comment

Looks great. Can't wait to see how you finish out the inside of this one.

Comment

Your absolutely nuts! But I can dig it! Awesome job as usual - mad skills and patience.

Comment

I had BIG working plans for the weekend and holiday but I've got some kind of stomach crud that has laid me on my butt! I did go down today and only mixed one batch of mortar and ran out of gas about half way through it. I haven't eaten anything in a couple of days so I didn't have much to put out.

The good news is that we had 3.1" of rain down there and there was more on the way when I got to Slaton. Bring on the rain!

Comment

Working...
                                X