New blind coming along quite nicely....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    This has been a two-three week project...so its not been out. If it was necessary during this period, I can push the trailer back into the third car area that is my shop (you can see the beer fridge), and then scoot the blind where the trailer is. It would be like a dang Rubiks cube, but it'll work.
    that would be fun to WATCH

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      what's with those rifle holes!!!!!!!!
      I agree!!!!

Comment

Well folks...the blind has finally been taken apart and is awaiting paint in the backyard tomorrow...gonna let the Wagner do its job and then its back on the trailer. Still have to install radiant barrier and tin after I paint roof.

A few pics before diassembly. I must say this is the only way to build a blind that needs to be transported. Amazing how simple it is to disassemble and reassemble.

Finally attached the door, hinges and handles and caulked every crook and cranny I could find. Now time to make it comfortable...

I installed hooks in various places for bag, quiver, etc., a small shelf with bow hook to my left out of the view of the windows for my binos, scent-off or a drink. I also took the advice of Clint and made a small peep with an electrical waterproof outlet cover where I am sitting in the back. I can open the lid and look out a 2x2 hole down the left side of the ridge I am on without moving forward. You can see it here under the shelf.

FTR...I have already taken the shelf over the front windows out for painting

Another pic with peep open...

Outside view....should be a nice comfortable addition that will lessen my movement

Found my dark plexiglass and will have it on the front view windows. (Thanks KingsX) Will add side windows when I get to the lease and get a better feel of where they need to be for me to see.

I'm almost done. I'll paint tomorrow, load the sides on the trailer and wait for Friday morning. It's been a fun project and as usual I have overanalyzed it to death.... but I think I've got it comfortable and practical....
        Last edited by Smart; 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

I like that peep hole idea alot. the whole thing looks good.

Comment

Rookie..........

Put the roof on last and you won't need that heat lamp in there for light.

Comment

Looking good...

Comment

Picked the glass up today Smart........Blind is lookin good!

Comment

Are you keeping track of material cost??

I built one last year but a 4x4 sorta similar to your frame work. A buddy who is on the lease w/ me wanted it & paid for the material and I built it. He had a 4' Tower welded up for the base. It is a beast and real heavy for it's size.

Just curious.....you may not even want to know but if you have a total when done & don't mind sharing, it may give an insight as to why good deer blinds are so expensive.

I don't know how many man hours I had on mine but it was a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Rookie..........

Put the roof on last and you won't need that heat lamp in there for light.
                      Hey Tim Tooltime........ .....I kept 1/3 of it off for most of the project .....I just set it on top for the pics....even then building it in the garage and mostly at night I needed a light.

My shop fan was blowing air inside quite nicely though hero...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                        Picked the glass up today Smart........Blind is lookin good!
                        Thanks Jeremy....looking for those corner brackets now..

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        Just curious.....you may not even want to know but if you have a total when done & don't mind sharing, it may give an insight as to why good deer blinds are so expensive.

I don't know how many man hours I had on mine but it was a lot.
                        $300 in materials/already had the tools. I can't tell you how many hours I have in it as I've spent most of the time sitting in my chair drinking a beer, cooling off and overanalyzing it. It's taken me two weeks on and off by myself.....If I had to guess, I'd say 20 direct hours not counting getting supplies etc. 1). Some things that would have made it go easier are 1) a table saw....ripping with a skilsaw on a banquet table and clamps sucks. 2) somebody in the dang world finding out how to make a 2x2 straight.....3) less tractor tire around the waistline and 4) less beer but then it wouldn't be any fun.

Comment

Thanks....

....I had the table saw and not sure how you are managing w/out it. I also had a miter saw w/ a stand so I did 99% of it by myself no problems. Man, I didn't even consider the beer & resting into the man hours and cost:-)

DeWALT makes a killer little portable table saw that does big work. Pretty neat tool and can hang her up on the wall when done.

Comment

....I had the table saw and not sure how you are managing w/out it. I also had a miter saw w/ a stand so I did 99% of it by myself no problems. Man, I didn't even consider the beer & resting into the man hours and cost:-)

DeWALT makes a killer little portable table saw that does big work. Pretty neat tool and can hang her up on the wall when done.

Yeah I have everything but the table saw. I loaned it to my dad to build hurricane window covers for his bay house and have yet to "get it back". I was clamping them to a bench or fold out banquet table and ripping it with a skilsaw. It's a pain, but beats a 7 hour drive one way to go pick up the table saw.

I hear you on the mitersaw....I would never attempt the project, especially the framing, without my Dewalt miter saw....its mighty handy and quick.

Comment

Well we're almost full circle....blind is painted and is drying. The Wagner cut my paint time by a ton. Total paint time was less than an hour with a feed hose from the paint can. Cleanup was about the only thing that took any time. Very nice purchase back in March that I plan on using more of in the future. Cornbread rolling and brushing it.

Here's the inside painted black. Black is much darker than pic shows due to glare....grass is greener too.lol

Here is the base with a Predator type brown mistake for $2-3/gallon....the outside of the blind opposite side of the black above is also this color.

Just need to dry and we're almost done.

Comment

The best tool by far to cut all that plywood............is a router, Believe it or not!

Comment

Working...
                                X