Hog Trap ( pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trap ( pic heavy)

This is my first attempt at a hog trap. Total cost was around $200.
    Attached Files

Very cool. Good luck.

Comment

Not to shabby. I would suggest adding more round bar to the door. Maybe horizontal pieces for braces. Hogs are some strong critters.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
        Not to shabby. I would suggest adding more round bar to the door. Maybe horizontal pieces for braces. Hogs are some strong critters.
        x2

once they get there nose through they will keep at it until they bend them apart and get out....

Comment

Looks like you could fit a few in your trap, good size!

Comment

Looking good! I would also think about adding a few more t-posts. Give it a trial run, and you can make changes if needed.

Comment

Following for more pics !!

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Looks good!! I would agree with CastAndBlast and kparker158 for more t-post and horizontal brazes on your round bars on the doors. Most I have seen are angle iron instead of round bar for the added strength.

Comment

How does this type of trap door work? What triggers the door to shut?

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                      X2 you want it to be stout but not heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1041 View Post
                        How does this type of trap door work? What triggers the door to shut?
                        It is what is called a root gate. They push in and cant push out.

Comment

Put 1/2 inch plywood on the bottom of the sections for them to push up.
                          Serves two purposes, keeps them from getting their head in between the bars and easier for them to push the sections up and walk in.
                          I added plywood to my spring loaded side swing door, my game camera showed I got 3 more one time because they pushed the door open and just walked right in, and the door closed quietly behind them.

Comment

You will need to add t-post every 4 feet or they will knock it down or push it over. and wire the panels to the t-post at ever horizontal strand. The horizontal bar or plywood on the door is a must also. Don't ask me how I know these things but the pictures on my camera at the so called learning curve told the story. A hog is probably as strong as a bear if he realizes he is trapped. Also be very careful when you approach a trap with hogs in it as they do not like people to much either and will try to attach you when you get close. The panels you are using have squares large enough that pigs up to 30 or 40 lbs can get out. If they can get their heads through the hole they are gone. I learned that the hard way.

Comment

X-what ever on the extra T-posts. Also because of the design there are now cornors in the trap (each side of the gate) you might want to beef up those cornors. For what ever reason the pigs in my area dont seem to want to push to get in. So I ended up with a guillotine style gate, however I have seen these made simular where the trigger pulls down the doors and additinal can still enter if desired.

Comment

Working...
                              X