How to stand up heavy bow tower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stand up heavy bow tower?

I have a bow tower that is 1"square iron tubing. I have 10ft removable legs that are attach by PTO pins. We went to stand it up the legs bowed from the stress. I need some help/ideas to what I need to do to stand it up without causing this again. The 1"square iron legs may just not be beefed-up enough. The trailer company that built it had the use of forklifts and small cherry pickers so there is absolute no stress on the legs. But all I have access to is our John Deere tractor and it's front-end loader.

P.S. Any ideas of what I should use for heavier duty "1 legs?

Got a pic? I have used a long rope tied to truck and pull it up slowly but it sounds like your legs are too weak to handle the stress.

Comment

Do you have a way to cross brace the legs. Had to do this on several in the past.

Comment

Really need a picture. Like stated above with cross bracing you should be able to stand it up.

Comment

Don't worry about the legs bowing and just stand it up like normal. If that bends the legs then I would be returning it to the place that built it for a do-over. They shouldn't be building stuff that you can't put up with normal means and equipment.

Comment

This a 10' tower I built. 1 1/2" 14ga sq tubing. 4x6 at the top.
            It's nothing for 2 people to stand up.

Im not so sure I would want to sit in the stand you are describing. 1" legs with no cross braces?

Comment

Triangles are your best friend.

Comment

10ft tower shouldnt be that hard to get up. Front end loader on the tractor ought to be able to just about pick it up by itself without having much stress at all on the tower legs. Get us some pics of the tower and maybe we can get some more info.

Comment

If the legs bend when you're trying to stand it up, I don't think I'd get on top of it.

Comment

you need to cross brace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      If the legs bend when you're trying to stand it up, I don't think I'd get on top of it.
                      this!

Comment

You will need A BUNCH of bracing for your legs. 1" tubing isn't really strong enough for that much weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II View Post
                          You will need A BUNCH of bracing for your legs. 1" tubing isn't really strong enough for that much weight.
                          ^^^ this

Comment

I'll post some pictures soon. Thanks y'all!

Comment

You need to change the point of lift. The chain that is connected to the blind needs to first pull up like a fulcrum. Try using a something that will attach closer to the blind instead of low.
                              ^
                              /. \
                              ----------/ \ -----

Comment

Working...
                              X