Homemade ice machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade ice machine

have an extra side by side fridge/freezer in the garage, and trying to figure out how to gut and install a big rubbermaid type tub or trashcan to make a bulk quantity of ice. not sure how to get the ice maker to stop once the tub or trashcan gets full.

Anyone else attempted this?

Take apart the ice maker and see what the stop is actuated by if it's just a little micro switch remove it and put it where it will stop when the tote is full. Or make an extension for the lever would be easier.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with the icemaker on the top side in the freezer because that switch for level is usually included with a motor that operates the metal arm that looks for the ice level. I would put an normally closed switch in line with the wire going to the solenoid on the back that controls the water supply to the ice maker. Use a switch with something like a wiffle ball on it that won't get trapped under falling ice but will act more like a float switch. Once you cut the power to the solenoid the the ice maker won't refill and dispense more ice.

Comment

Homemade ice machine

Mine has a metal loop that gets pushed-up when the container is full and it turns off the ice maker. I think you could drill 2 holes above each other on the refrigerator side, and install some kind of "T" made of thin pipe into the hole, with the top of the T facing up and down to act as a guide. Then get a piece of thin wire (straightened coathanger?), make a loop on the top to go around the original wire, and bend a 90 degree in the bottom. Your bucket gets to the top, the ice pushes up the wire, and the icemaker turns off. You could use pvc pipe and T and have a thinner piece of pvc slide inside the T fitting too. Make sense?

Last edited by Bill; 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

It takes a while to freeze the water and I'm afraid the ice in your tub will be melted by the time the next load dumps

Comment

If the tub is also in the freezer compartment of a side by side, it should be ok I'd think?

Comment

Commercial ice makers go through tons of water as the ice in the bottom melts and drains out...You will need a drain to really make it work effectively. Be prepared to use a ton of water as it is a constant cycle.

Comment

Why would the ice melt in the bottom of a 10F freezer?

Comment

Just keep an eye on it and manually flip the lever.... Problem solved!!

Comment

I'd keep my beer in there and check it often!

Comment

Atfulldraw is on the right track...

Comment

good luck to you. seems like a like a pain in the a-- when ice is $2 for 20 pounds.IMO

Comment

I wouldnt mind the two dollar ice but for me the two hour drive would
                          get old... id go with having a bunch on hand... more time for figuring out something to use it for... and then using it...course thats just me...
                          infact thinking a little more about I think for me I would find a bunch of one half or gallon containers to make smaller blocks of ice for iceing down ice chests of game...

Comment

There's not but one way to find out big daddy! Let em swing! I'm tuned in....

Comment

No reason the ice would melt. Most of those commerical ice makers are just an insulated hopper on the bottom and not actively cooled like a freezer.

I think it is a great idea if you have the room and extra freezer space. I have always wondered why no one offers a standalone freezer with an ice maker.

Comment

Working...
                              X