Pen Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pen Makers

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the art of pen turning. I am going to get an old shopsmith from my dad and start small. Just any suggestions or thoughts would be great. Do you do it just for fun or are you trying to make money off of it? Does it seem easy enough to make money off of it? Thanks.

Got a buddy in Anna tx that plays around on the side making pens. I think he put a few on eBay. I have a pretty cool bullet pen with some crazy exotic wood he made me. I don't know if it would be a huge money maker though. Good luck

Comment

I do them for extra money for bills. Got layed off and started doing pens and a few other things to make up the difference of my unemployment. Since I have been back at work (4months) I do it to still help with bills. Not making a million at it but I have something I can do here at the house now.

Comment

Thanks for the toughts. I'm just trying to make some side money and not get rich on it.

Comment

To get started you will have to spend money, the kits, the mandrel, the supplies etc., are not cheap. The mistakes at the beginning will eat up some money, if you are used to using a lathe, that will be a small amount. Selling them is another issue, there are a lot of penmakers out there. 20 years ago, a little money could be made, today not so much, too much competition.

I would say game calls, but even that market has become saturated with "custom" callmakers that use plug and play guts in their calls. Leaving customers with sour tastes in their mouth, after buying an overpriced piece of round wood.

Comment

Works of Art

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
            I do them for extra money for bills. Got layed off and started doing pens and a few other things to make up the difference of my unemployment. Since I have been back at work (4months) I do it to still help with bills. Not making a million at it but I have something I can do here at the house now.
            I have to say these are 2nd to none. Definitely top of the line.

Pablo

Comment

I have a lathe and all the pen making materials. I do a few but, found they are very hard to sell for the time and money you have in them (at least around this small town). My FIL used to make them before his passing and made pretty good money for a side job. He would sale at trade shows. Good luck. If nothing else they are fun to make.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
                To get started you will have to spend money, the kits, the mandrel, the supplies etc., are not cheap. The mistakes at the beginning will eat up some money, if you are used to using a lathe, that will be a small amount. Selling them is another issue, there are a lot of penmakers out there. 20 years ago, a little money could be made, today not so much, too much competition.
                Originally posted by Bearkat View Post
                I have a lathe and all the pen making materials. I do a few but, found they are very hard to sell for the time and money you have in them (at least around this small town).
                In addition to what these guys said ...

I decided to turn pens to use up the scrap wood I had in my shop.
                It's only fun to make mesquite and walnut pens for about a day.
                Soon I was buying all kinds of blanks and just as many pen kits.
                Right now I'm set up to make 20 or more different styles of pens.
                If you look at the initial investment, the actual supplies, your time, and a reasonable profit, not many people will pay that for a pen. It's a very limited market.

Most of the pens I make now are auctioned for fundraisers or given as gifts.

Comment

Working...
                X