Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would y'all build/design this bridge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would y'all build/design this bridge....

If everything goes well we hope to close on some property soon. There is a spring-fed creek through the property. There is an unsupported foot bridge across it but it's not suitable for vehicles, tractors, etc.

One of my first projects will be to either support this one or just start over with a real bridge. I was thinking some type of I-beams or railroad ties. Another tbh'er suggested a mobile home frame.

Anyway, what do y'all think. I don't have the measurements of the wooden bridge but it can't be more than 10-15' long and about 5' wide. Here's some pics. If this was yours how would you build it?

Would it need to be supported regardless of the materials used?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24994972

Name:	bridge1.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	24994973

wow what a great drive entry. Might try a metal grate for decking and steel beams. Would be cool to do a stone arch.
    I guess it all depends on how much work you are looking to do.
    Good luck.

Comment

It will definitely be cheaper to start with "something". A mobile home frame would be a great way to start. Side rail/trusses would make it even more stout.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        It will definitely be cheaper to start with "something". A mobile home frame would be a great way to start. Side rail/trusses would make it even more stout.
        Agree on both accounts. Good news is it doesn't look very far across. This bridge won't be subject to any type of code inspection will it?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
          wow what a great drive entry. Might try a metal grate for decking and steel beams. Would be cool to do a stone arch.
          I guess it all depends on how much work you are looking to do.
          Good luck.

It's not the property entry...it's in the middle of the property. Guess I worded that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            Agree on both accounts. Good news is it doesn't look very far across. This bridge won't be subject to any type of code inspection will it?

No sir. Just a way to get from the front half of the property to the deer hunting half.

Comment

I'd just lay telephone poles cross it. Lay them side by side, big end to little end until you got it wide enough. Cover the poles with landscape fabric and the put dirt and gravel over it. My uncle has one like this on his place. Been there for almost 30 years. You might have to redo one day but its cheap.

Comment

16' car hauler trailer could work too.
                BTW Chew, there is a frame on 75 between Spur 67 and Madisonville....it's in a guys front yard....may be able to pick it up cheap.

Comment

A tracktor, riprap rock, large metal/concrete culverts and some road base on top

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.

Looks like the Texas Veteran's land board has decided to give me even more stress. After approving my survey last week, they have decided to unapprove it and put a hold on everything. I can't take much more of this without losing my mind.

Comment

Try a reclaimed antique bridge!
                      Attached Files

Comment

your still young...... 5 high foot ramp and straighten out that curve on the other side

at a past deer lease we used 2 warehouse pallet rack uprights welded back to back laid down across the dry creak and then put 2x12 across for tire paths

Name:	42in-X-216in-Heavy-Duty-Upright-Frame-Pallet-Rack.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	24260278

Comment

An old semi tractor float trailer. Just take the axles off and set. Should be there forever.

Comment

If you don't use something already made up. i would at least follow the design they have there.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiser View Post
                              An old semi tractor float trailer. Just take the axles off and set. Should be there forever.
                              That's going to be the most cost effective if you ask me. Whatever you do, you need to tie both tire paths together somehow. Otherwise they will want to twist and warp. Making for a very scary drive across.

Comment

Working...
                              X