Underpinning on "Modular Home"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underpinning on "Modular Home"

I am in a delimma. We are currently in the process of leveling and re-doing the underpinning on our home. My wife is wanting the nice faux rock about 80-100 dollars a sheet , but that is going to cost us an arm and a leg. I could care less as long as it is not cheap vinyl.

I know there has got to be some of you rednecks on here with doublewides. What do you guys suggest. Is there anyone on here that has gone through this process?

would real rock be cheaper? Im gonna do some sort of wood around the base of my house, I dont like the vinal.

Comment

If you leave it open, the dogs can sleep under there and you can store all sorts of stuff.

Comment

Hardiplank.

Comment

I used R panel sheet metal, with j trim cap on top. I started with a c purlin base at ground level and used rolled Tek foil insulation under the metal panels. After all the panels were up I poured a 3" concrete curb around the outside with a rebar rod for support. That was 10 years ago and still looks great today and the insulation made a significant improvement on heating/cooling the house.

Comment

get this

then paint it a "stone" color after you prepped the metal.

just a thought I had, after I seen some of those panels painted at a tire shop the other day.

on my home, I just used corrugated roofing tin, the added some vents so the home "breathes".
            Last edited by texxfletch; 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
              would real rock be cheaper? Im gonna do some sort of wood around the base of my house, I dont like the vinal.

I have looked at the faux rock on www.fauxpanels.com/ and it is very expensive for the fake stuff. I would hate to know what real rock would cost me.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                If you leave it open, the dogs can sleep under there and you can store all sorts of stuff.
                Yes I can always use more space to put my junk!

Comment

Coachwhip do you have any pictures of your place. I am trying to intice my wife into this option. We are working on the footer around the house this weekend because the hardy board that was there before didnt last a year in the dirt.

Comment

I have some rental homes, and this is always an issue, hardi-planked one with2x4 footing, screwed it to a 1x4 toe board. The hardi-plank can be made to look like almost anything (cedar, bricks, stone) just dont forget to leave an entry way like I did. It was my first project and I guess I was just ate up with the dumb ***** that day lol

Comment

Man I just drive through San Angelo and seen a guy that took it looks to be that 5/16x6 and ran it about 4 1/2 ft up his house and laid another one over the seam with a cap and he is staining it man it looks good I think that's the way I am going to do mine and put a footer around it.

Comment

That doesn't sound too bad. As long as it looks decent and it last for at least 10 years I would be happy.

Comment

I'll try to get you some ASAP.

Comment

Here they are, not the best photos but you get the idea, it sure ends the critters under the house, and cutting holes in the vinyl siding with the weed eater!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3009.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	24257651

Name:	IMG_5099.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24257652

Name:	IMG_5100.JPG
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	24257653

Comment

Thanks coachwhip! That doesn't look bad at all I think we are going to go with something similar to that. Much cheaper on the pocket book!

Comment

Working...
                              X