Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
    if this is for night time only hunting tripod should be fine. But if they start showing during the day you will only be able to fool them 1 time. I would push it back the brush. For nothing more than to be able to move a bit more.
    Yo Mitch, yes, this is intended for nocturnal bow hunting of the piggies. For daytime shooting, I'll just sit in my Taj Mahal blind

Comment

Just a quick update - I sent my old man out to the ranch last weekend while I was in South Texas hunting Javelina. I had been telling him to get out there and chase this one sounder of pigs that had been coming in like clockwork.

I left 200 pounds of corn, a record rack deer block, and some Pig Out cherry molasses stuff in my blind for him, so he could really spice up the area. He buried the block, poured two liters of big red on top of it, added corn and pig out on the surface. This is what I call "The Hog Bomb" - where you go all out and make the biggest pile of sweet stink you can.

Well, he was sitting in the blind when the feeder went off with it's daily four second spray. He stepped out to **** on the big oak behind the blind, so he'd be good to go for whenever the pigs showed up. Well, while he was mid-stream, he looked through the windows of the blind to the feeder and BAM - there they were! They had been sleeping in the yaupons apparently, and came right out when the feeder went off!

So he quickly packed his gear back in his pants, slipped in the blind, and sent a round of 45-70 straight into the ear of a nice 170lb boar!

I'm so happy for him since this is his first kill at the ranch, and hopefully there are many more to come for him!

Comment

The kill ^^

The sounder ^^

Comment

just plain AWESOME!

Comment

Way to go pops! I'd give anything to hang out with my dad at my place. Soak it in!

Comment

Thats awesome sneaky. Its coming along nice out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Way to go pops! I'd give anything to hang out with my dad at my place. Soak it in!
                I know that feeling....

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Just now stumbled across this thread and I read the entire thing. Awesome looking place you got there, and congrats on your hog and your pops hog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                      Yo Mitch, yes, this is intended for nocturnal bow hunting of the piggies. For daytime shooting, I'll just sit in my Taj Mahal blind
                      I have a very similar tripod and the only time I got a drop on a deer was when they came running by. If they wandered in, I was pretty much busted. Even for the hogs, I'd consider cutting into the tree a bit. I would cut a wedge so that I could stick on leg in as close to the trunk as possible. It worked as long as the deer walked in broadside.

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                      Just a quick update - I sent my old man out to the ranch last weekend while I was in South Texas hunting Javelina. I had been telling him to get out there and chase this one sounder of pigs that had been coming in like clockwork.

I left 200 pounds of corn, a record rack deer block, and some Pig Out cherry molasses stuff in my blind for him, so he could really spice up the area. He buried the block, poured two liters of big red on top of it, added corn and pig out on the surface. This is what I call "The Hog Bomb" - where you go all out and make the biggest pile of sweet stink you can.

Well, he was sitting in the blind when the feeder went off with it's daily four second spray. He stepped out to **** on the big oak behind the blind, so he'd be good to go for whenever the pigs showed up. Well, while he was mid-stream, he looked through the windows of the blind to the feeder and BAM - there they were! They had been sleeping in the yaupons apparently, and came right out when the feeder went off!

So he quickly packed his gear back in his pants, slipped in the blind, and sent a round of 45-70 straight into the ear of a nice 170lb boar!

I'm so happy for him since this is his first kill at the ranch, and hopefully there are many more to come for him!
                      I told my 9 year old this year that the deer won't come in if you are moving around. He had to go pee so I sent him off to go pee. When he walked back into our ground blind I told him he had to move slowly because 4 bucks walked in while he was in the woods doing his business

Did you stick any Javis?

Comment

Just catching up on this thread. That's a nice place you have.

Comment

Oh, for those commenting on the tripod, I moved it back farther away, so the shooter is now about 18 yards from underneath the feeder.

If anything comes in, all you need to do is sit still until it's by the feeder and then it's a total chip shot

Comment

Dang man looks like its coming together really well!

Comment

Following your progress.

Comment

Ive been following your thread for a good while now and actually insired me to start my own... keep the Ideas and projects flowing bud... Your place is looking Great

Comment

Working...
                                X