No announcement yet.

Millmans new ranch (long term project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So so sorry to read that last update. What a true nightmare, nature can be a cruel SOB. I hope you get it figured out quickly and that the wildlife rebounds better than before.

Comment

oh - wow. That's horrible.

Comment

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I can see yall have done a ton of work on that place.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement....I am kind of amazed and glad all at the same time that as close as BrianG and Ag_Attack are to us they weren't affected. With all the deer we had coming up this was going to be the year I took my first deer from the property. Now I will keep my head down strive a little harder and see what we can grow from what we have left....AND I kind of feel sorry for the pigs! Before this I hated them....now it will become a passion to kill them all in any way I can find.

Sick cant begin to describe the feelings....so many of the deer we had were like family. Mother nature proved all the hard work in the world will not stop her if that is what she wishes upon you.

Of all the wishes....I wish we had some kind of conformation of what "IT" was. I got an email from Texas Farm Bureau that the ranch in Kinney Co that has had a anthrax break out had lost 30 deer.....I called everyone I could over loosing hundreds of deer and got nothing.

Now we need to rewrite our management plan! We will come back bigger and better somehow!
          Last edited by millman; 11-05-2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
            Thanks for the encouragement....I am kind of amazed and glad all at the same time that as close as BrianG and Ag_Attack are to us they weren't affected. With all the deer we had coming up this was going to be the year I took my first deer from the property. Now I will keep my head down strive a little harder and see what we can grow from what we have left....AND I kind of feel sorry for the pigs! Before this I hated them....now it will become a passion to kill them all in any way I can find.

Sick cant begin to describe the feelings....so many of the deer we had were like family. Mother nature proved all the hard work in the world will not stop her if that is what she wishes upon you.

Of all the wishes....I wish we had some kind of conformation of what "IT" was. I got an email from Texas Farm Bureau that the ranch in Kinney Co that has had a anthrax break out had lost 30 deer.....I called everyone I could over loosing hundreds of deer and got nothing.

Now we need to rewrite our management plan! We will come back bigger and better somehow!
            I was about to ask what "IT" was as it sounded like anthrax thats been hitting all around the South West.

That ranch has lost majority of their deer by the way so sound similar

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              I was about to ask what "IT" was as it sounded like anthrax thats been hitting all around the South West.

That ranch has lost majority of their deer by the way so sound similar
              We anthrax tested on several animals and negative every time.....

Yea, I have been checking on the other ranch off and on.....

Comment

Wow that sucks, did u atleast find some of the dead heads of those big bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just curious....ever test your water supply? I know they're drilling several water wells next door to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that.

Comment

I'm still surprised at how this affected such a specific area. Have any of your neighbors had a big or even small die-off? It does kind of sound like something specific to your place, such as water supply like someone mentioned.

I'm floored that no one you spoke with has provided any answer or insight to you about this! I sure hope you get some answers soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
                        I'm still surprised at how this affected such a specific area. Have any of your neighbors had a big or even small die-off? It does kind of sound like something specific to your place, such as water supply like someone mentioned.

I'm floored that no one you spoke with has provided any answer or insight to you about this! I sure hope you get some answers soon.
                        Very surprising to us as well that we couldn't get answers. Our thought was if it was water we would have lost more than deer. We did not find any other type of game animals sick or dead. we have a good population of pigs, wild sheep, varmits and turkeys. The worst part is not knowing what it was.
                        The most obvious answer would be EHD except for the cows. EHD is not known to affect cows.

Our neighbor to our north found a few dead deer early on as well as a few dead cows.

Comment

I sure hate to hear this. Been reading as you first posted about it. And when Bob started the thread. Just didn't' know what to say right off, about the die off. Yall have put in a lot of hard work into the place. But as you said Ron, yall will figure out something, and come back bigger and better.

Comment

We have not been able to locate the biggest bucks as of yet....I am not sure if I will be able to leave them lay as we have all the rest. Lots of bucks that were going to be something laying and we have not picked them up. Not knowing what "IT" was we don't want to take any more chances than we have too.

As Bob said don't think it is the water....I would like to say I been drinking it and am fine but I don't want to cause a vote on that.....

There were several lost on every neighboring property. The place to the east had told me they had lost 7 bulls and over 25 deer before we ever found the first deer. I don't think some of the neighbors exactly know what they lost due to the deer are not the main focus.....when we talked to Dr. Kroll he had said someone had contacted him before us and we still don't know who that was. I've been floored since day one! Couldn't and still can't believe the lack of giving a hoot. As for finding out anything.....there will be no answers.

Yep! Protein feeders and cottonseed will be out and going right after the first of the year....hopefully bigger.....dang sure better!

Comment

Prayers for Ya! Sorry to hear this.

Comment

I have followed this thread from the beginning and always admired how hard you guys worked to get the place to where you want it and now this happens.

Doesn't mean much but I'm sure sorry for the loss of your deer herd.

I have a bunch of doe to kill this year if you need any meat. I'm happy to share with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X