Metal tank repair suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal tank repair suggestions

So i got a few holes I need to patch up on a galv. metal tank (500-600) gallon. This is the holding/cistern tank for my windmill, it is on a stand about 10' up in the air in the middle of pasture. I don't have generator, or power close enough to use a welder, plus im not the good to weld that thin stuff, I'd probably just burn through it. One hole is roughly 3 inches long and 2-3 wide. then several pin holes around it. This is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the side of the tank. I'm rebuilding the windmill and I'm already into this project about 3x as much $$$ as I thought it was going to cost me so replacing the tank aint an option at this time. So what are my repair options? Is there some kind of kit similar to fiber glass repair where you have some sort of mesh cloth and epoxy/bondo type material? If something like that is available is it going to be strong enough to withstand the pressure once the tank is filled with water? Let me hear what you guys can come up with. Thanks in advance.

You could probably cut a piece of metal to cover the hole from the inside. Make sure it is big enough to go well beyond the hole. Use silicon to essentially glue it to the side. I'm not sure how well silicon bonds to galvanized metal, but you wouldn't have anything trying to pull the patch off.

Comment

swimming pool liner?.....
      As stated above but use the marine adhesive....add a few screws and it should hold for several years
      Last edited by bwssr; 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

What Wayno said. Use tek screws to hold screw it in place. Should last a long time.

Comment

JB weld!

Comment

cant access inside of the tank, enclosed tank.... repair will have to be done on the outside

Comment

the metal will work on the outside if you screw it every inch or two. I have fixed aluminum jon boats this way.

Comment

have you priced a new tank?

if this is your only source of water, for livestock, id seriously fork over the cash for a new one......if you loose your water tank itll be a long time if not impossible for a windmill to keep up with a few cattle in this heat.

Comment

You should be able to find something here to fix it. May call and talk to them.
                  Belzona product lines are manufactured to resolve many problems and to eliminate the need for disassembly, welding, and post weld heat treatment.

Comment

Cut a patch of thin galvanized metal. Smear JB Weld around the hole. Place the patch on and secure with some galvanized sheet metal screws. It will work.

My problem with that type of tank is losing the bottom out of them. If it is getting rusty I would replace the tank as repairs aren't economical.

Comment

Working...
                    X