No announcement yet.

knife build along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you enjoyed it. If I can help you any just shoot me a pm. I'm not an expert, but I'm now being trained by one

Here's one I just got done for the firedepartment my dad is a member of

I had a Maltese Cross and Denver City Fire Department stencil made and I used the homemade etcher to put it on the blade.

Here's another I helped make. This is a standard knife for the guy who is now helping me learn some new tricks, I did very little work he did most of it. Jerry McClure is his name and he knows a thing or two about making knives. I learned more in his shop in two days than I have on my own in 4 or 5 years. Damascus blade and camel bone scales. The bolsters are damascus too, but I am redoing them because I didn't like the colors I got when etching.

Comment

Ryan I have go to tell my friend about your post. He builds some great knives also and when I was mentioning about this thread he really wanted to see what you were doing. Some of his work is remarkable...just like yours.

Truly amazing.

Comment

Ryan,
        This posting is awesome, I've been interested in building a knife for quite a while and after reading this post, I'm going to use this to do it...

thanks,
        Andy

Comment

glad you hooked up with a pro ryan. your work has improved alot lately.

i should be getting the 2x72 grizzly in february

Comment

I appreciate the interest and compliments guys. Offer stands anytime if you need help or a more descriptive answer over the phone or email just pm.

Comment

Amazing work. That was a great tutorial! I may never attempt to make a knife now after reading all those steps...LOL. Just kidding. The info you have provided is greatly appreciated, and helps me understand why there is "Cost" in a quality knife. Its all in the materials and craftsmanship.

Hope you had a Happy Holidays!

Comment

rbljack glad you enjoyed it. Some of those steps actually took longer to photograph than they did to actually complete. I just wanted as many photos and as much explanation as I could.

Noticed your location is Snyder. I made my first knife while going to college there. I was working for Bull Creek taxidermy and decided I had to make myself a knife after seeing some custom knives brought in there by a government gunner.

Hope you had Happy Holidays as well.

Comment

Thanks Ryan!After reading this whole post I can say I am truely impressed with your knife making skills.I have quite a few knives and I have always wondered just what goes in to making one.Congrats to you!you are a "CRAFTSMAN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you finish the knife in the "build along"?

Comment

Yes post 78 on page 2 is the finished knife that was built in the pictures. The ones after were just other projects.

Comment

Awesome thread. Those knives look really sweet. I dont have near enough patience to porduce something so beautiful. Great job, I throughly enjoyed reading this one.

Comment

man wish i had the time

Comment

last time i ever glance over a knife!! Wow, that is craftsmanship, and beautiful work!

Comment

Ryan,
                              You have a gift,talent as a knifemaker.Great post!
                              Thanks Ernie

Comment

This is one of the best DIY projects on here...I wish I had a belt grinder now and could afford the materials. Awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                                X