No announcement yet.

knife build along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have any questions feel free to email me at ryan@minchewknives.com. And just for grins here are some knives I've completed recently. I'm not taking orders and not selling knives, I just want to be fair to the paid sponsors on this site.

Bird and trout
    CPM-154 stainless blade
    hollow ground tapered tang
    damascus bolsters
    snakewood handle

Bird and trout
    CPM-154 stainless blade
    hollow ground tapered tang
    damascus bolsters
    Antique Micarta from a old D6 CAT air starter motor

CPM-154 stainless blades
    Hollow ground tapered tangs
    aoudad handles

cpm-154 stainless blade
    damascus mill relieved handles

This knife I did not do by myself. Jerry McClure a great friend I have mentioned before showed me how to make this knife. It has his jeweled bearing system. Most liner locks have washers or bearings he showed me how to make bearings out of rubies and this knife has 10 rubies that the knife rides on for bearings. The blade is Jerry's Cracked Ice pattern damascus. Titanium liners and brushed titanium handles. I carry this knife daily now.

Comment

Ok just started making my knife. Got to buy a couple more things like the tool steel file stop and my scales but i am excited. It is going real slow and i have a lot of stuff going on so this is going to be a while before i post up my pics but i wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration and techniques in this build along. I am finally doing something i have always wanted to. Thanks again.

Comment

Im thinking im gonna pull the trigger on this and give it a whirl.

Comment

Very neat thread indeed, thanks Ryan for all your hard work bringing it to us!

Comment

so you dont sell your knives?

Comment

very nice

Comment

Very nice, Ryan.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. If you've got any questions just let me know hopefully I can help.

Comment

Slip joint knife I'm working on. I didn't show pictures of cutting the blade out and grinding it and the tang to final dimensions.
                    Liners rought cut and drilled for spring tension

Marked for grinding

Rough ground liners

Bolsters marked

Rough cut bolsters and knife

Bolsters spot welded on handle scales rough cut

Bolsters ground to outside shape

Scales glued

scales glued and shaped

Comment

Looks very nice.

Comment

That is incredible. I wish I had the time and money to get into knife making...maybe one day....until that day I will admire the work of the masters like you.

Comment

Thanks ya'll. Trailboss you can get started cheap with just a file or to and go from there....

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                            Thanks ya'll. Trailboss you can get started cheap with just a file or to and go from there....
                            Really? Any advice on where to go to find the info/tools you need to get started?

Comment

Get a foot of known knife steel from usknifemakers supply and buy a good nicholson file from a hardware store. On page one of this tutorial I go over how to do each step with hand tools. My first knives were made with known steel, files, sandpaper, drill, and a hacksaw. I would sell them and save up the money to buy the next tool. No reason to have thousands of dollars tied up to make a knife.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I thought I also needed the forge and the drills and all those other tools. I have to admit (sheepishly) I didn't read through all the posts before I posted. I mainly admired your work in the pictures. I am going through now and reading your posts. Great tutorial.
                                Last edited by TB80; 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X