Dove feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove feeder

Im wanting to build a dove feeder out of a 55 gallon drum. I have seen ones before where you take a screwdriver and punch a hole into it the right size and the birds can peck piece by piece out. has anyone tried this before or have any other ideas for how to feed some milo.

Uh...

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
    Im wanting to build a dove feeder out of a 55 gallon drum. I have seen ones before where you take a screwdriver and punch a hole into it the right size and the birds can peck piece by piece out. has anyone tried this before or have any other ideas for how to feed some milo.
    Not for hunting, right?

Comment

Baited area means any area on which salt, grain, or other feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, if that salt, grain, or other feed could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Any such area will remain a baited area for 10 days following the complete removal of all such salt, grain, or other feed.

Baiting means the direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

Comment

Long ways off from dove season so plenty of time to get them fat and happy before we pull the feed away from them. just wanted to keep them coming in and eating as much feed as they like until right before the season

Comment

following

Comment

Smart

Long ways off from dove season so plenty of time to get them fat and happy before we pull the feed away from them. just wanted to keep them coming in and eating as much feed as they like until right before the season
            I like the way you think.

Comment

Haha better make sure you clean up real well before the beginning of September.

Comment

I built a feeder out of a 30 gal metal drum cause we've had bob whites show up. I live in Williamson county in the farm lands so we have doves like crazy and we dove hunt the field behind us during season. I have no interest in shooting the quail cause its been a lot of years since I've seen/heard them (always hunted in S. TX), and we like to watch them. Got it set up in my front yard.
                [ATTACH]502382.
                [ATTACH]502384.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have a regular old deer feeder behind the house I feed corn and milo mixed out of. Feeding the milo for the rebounding quail population but the doves sure dont mind it.

Comment

What Big D said^. Just run milo out of a spin feeder. Keeps it off the ground away from critters too.

Comment

Yea its about 100 yards from where we hunt. i think the rule is you cant hunt a baited area and we will not be doing that. Water is about 150-200 yards from each other. we feed one and hunt the other. i like the low feeder. No problems with coons or anything? we have alot so needs to be generally fool proof

Comment

the birds that feed now will "MIGRATE" before hunting season, so you are just feeding birds for someone farther south!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
                          the birds that feed now will "MIGRATE" before hunting season, so you are just feeding birds for someone farther south!!!
                          But these birds will leave their scent which will attract the migrating birds!

Comment

Wont the birds migrate only when needed? so as long as they stay around opening day waiting for food i can handle that. Future doves also on the way back would not come to feed after the season and remember the feed spot correct? of course stop feeding during the season and open back up after

Comment

I think you're playing with fire trying to bait birds with the intention on hunting, regardless of whether or not you hunt over it or not. You'd be a lot safer by sticking to your water holes and do some mowing to scatter the seeds off of the natural vegetation you have. Opening day of dove season is opening day for the game warden too.

Comment

Working...
                              X