Bowfishing Boat Built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowfishing Boat Built

Here is the details on how me and Bocephus1992 built our bowfishing boat. First we acquired the boat from another TBHer for a good price as TBH spirit shows.

We spray painted it up to our liking and put our initials on it, thought that was cool
    Attached Files

We made a couple fishing trips in the boat like that will my 5hp trolling as slow as possible while we shine flashlights in the water. Caught some fish this way, not many in a night, 3-7.

We decided to go on with the plans to build the deck and put lights on. We used 2x4's I believe and laid them vertical in the boat, measure the lengths we needed them to be, and cut to specifications.

I forget the length. We went from the very front of the bow to around the middle of the seat. Then we added some support beams, because we would place out platform on top of this

Last edited by Patton; 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Nect we place the plywood ontop of the deck frame. We drilled holes From top to bottom on the plywood, just on the outside of the deck frame. This helped us align the string when drawing a line where we would saw. Sawing would give us a perfect fit from a our plywood onto the deck frame.

After a quick saw it was screwed on and sat perfectly flush. because of the decrease in slop between the front seat and the back seat, we used a 4x4 I believe to compensate for the drop. The board touching the logo brand may be a 4x4. We also used this 4x4 for the back platform later on.

We decided we wanted to have a "trap door" to reach underneath the deck into our new storage area. We could put things out of the way here but still reach them easily. We cut between part of the frame, being sure to not cut any 2x4s. We reinforced the sides with 2x4 blocks so the trap door had something to rest on still. We also put a nice hinge on it and drilled hole and tied a knotted rope through it as a handle.
      Last edited by Patton; 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

following. are the pics the wrong format?

Comment

After a quick paint job on the new platform, we decided we wanted to have a "trap door" to reach underneath the deck into our new storage area Storage we could easily reach. We cut between part of the frame, being sure to not cut any 2x4s. We reinforced the sides on the inside of the trap door with 2x4 blocks so the trap door had something to rest while it was closed. We also put a nice hinge on it and drilled hole and tied a knotted rope through it as a handle.

We decided we wanted to do lights powered by batteries. We went to home Depot and the man helped us to showing us all the shop lights, and even a combo shop light that was not shown with the other ones. We could have bought each 500w halogen for $16 a piece or this combo he showed us that came with (2) 500w halogens on a tripod for $40. We took this deal.

The way the lights cam disassembled in the box and off the tripods made it perfect for us to buy the metal clamps that matched the diameter of the light stands. we were able to easily just screw the lights with clams right onto the boat. Just make sure the size clamp you get is snug on your light and will still get close to flush when screwing onto the board.

We decided against a rail as well. Only been on one trip with the new set up but considering a change and adding a railing.
          Last edited by Patton; 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

We bought a deep cycle Marine Battery from Walmart, but did not realize we had to buy a converter as well to run these lights off of them..

No big deal, just a minor set back that I am going to have to ask the GS about in the near future. I'm not very familiar with electrical.

We were lucky enough to borrow a friends gas generator, It cranked the lights real well

Comment

This is this picture of me and a few buddies before we took of down the Colorado River for a night, I'm on the right.

In this picture you see we have a plenty good amount of gear, but everything worked out fine as far as floating and cruising when. Some close calls but not many.

Not that big of a deal if you pay attention to how the river bends and works.

Notice we also build a back platform for where the driver sit. We did this by putting down a piece of ply wood, figuring out where support was needed in each corner and drill a 4X4 attached to it. That way the plywood platform sat mainly on the back seat but extended to the back of the boat and had 4x4 supports in the corner, had to cut away a spot for the gas tank.

Here is a few fish we caught on that trip

Comment

MODS please moce to DIY Forum, thank you

Comment

Width of boat? And how stable is it?

Comment

Originally posted by LaytonConor View Post
                    Width of boat? And how stable is it?
                    It is very stable. Going down the river we had two shooters in the from platform, somebody on the middle seat, and me driving shooting off the back platform when possible (hard to drive and shoot).

I'm not sure on the width, I don't think it is the extra wide model though.

The best part is it takes 30 seconds to take the platform on and off.

We are extremely happy with our boat so far. We have been frugal with our spending and it has been a relatively cheap build. Wood for front and back deck, screws, clamps, and a few other things were around $125
                    Last edited by Patton; 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Anywhere advice can be given, it would be appreciated

Comment

Very nice!! Did you ever figure out how to get the lights to hook up to battery? Just bought 4 of those same lights.

Comment

Great set up man!

Comment

Originally posted by wenk View Post
                            Very nice!! Did you ever figure out how to get the lights to hook up to battery? Just bought 4 of those same lights.
                            Currently have another thread running about that right now.. Hopefully soon.

Originally posted by Habanarrow View Post
                            Great set up man!
                            Thanks!! It's my little pride and joy for now

Comment

Working...
                            X