2002 F350 Superduty Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 F350 Superduty Upgrades

I have been having some issues with my transmission (reverse is acting up) and after getting a quote on a rebuild, I decided to just replace it with the HD unit Ford offers. Since I plan on keeping my 7.3 for a long time and I was already going to have the tranny out I decided to go ahead and change out my up pipes as well. I also went with the 6.0 cooler since it is a major upgrade from the stock one that came with the 7.3s With the help of one of my good buddies we got my old tranny and cooler out and flushed the lines and got the new tranny, cooler and up pipes installed. It was some work and we ran into a few snags along the way, but with the advice of members of another forum I am a member of, we got it all knocked out. Here are some pics of our fun filled weekend.

The Parts

Out with the old and in with the New

New Up pipes

Guess I forgot to take a pic of the new tranny installed

I was really surprised by the difference in size of the stock and 6.0 cooler. This should really lower my tranny temps.

cool...what's next?

Comment

What kind of mileage is on your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
        cool...what's next?
        I bought a FrX but I am having a really hard time locating a 9/32 square socket to get the test ports out to install it. I have read of people just using vice grips for an adjustable wrench but I am worried I will just strip it out so I have not tried it. I did buy a set of sockets at Sears that claims to do square along with several other head types but it just felt like it was stripping.

Originally posted by Jackson357 View Post
        What kind of mileage is on your truck?
        I have a little over 180K on it. My tranny was still working but I was having some issues with the reverse. It would really rev my RPMs up while trying to back up. At the boat ramp I got all kinds of looks. This all stemmed from 2009 when I dumped all my tranny fluid 20 miles down the Padre Island National Seashore. I was in 4x4 in some hairy stuff for several miles and heated my tranny up to the point that it messed up one of the seals and dumped my fluid. I had the seal replaced but it was just never the same. FYI the stock tranny gage is garbage. It never even showed I was hot until it was to late. Digital gage in place now to monitor the tranny. Getting back to this, I just figured I would go ahead and replace it rather than rebuild. Rebuild was actually more expensive than the cost of the stock replacement and $400.00 less than the HD model so for me the choice was HD all the way. Also the rebuild came with a 12 month 12K mile warranty and the Ford unit was 3 years/100k so it was a no brainer. I bought the tranny and all the Ford parts from a Ford dealer that only marks up parts 10%. Couple that with no sales tax and free shipping of the tranny and my mind was made up.

Comment

Mac tools or Snap on should have the $100 socket!

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
            Mac tools or Snap on should have the $100 socket!
            Ouch

Comment

Sweet truck

Comment

Nice

Comment

The new parts look good brotha! The new tranny looks tuff

The "BEAST" is a heck of a pick up. It's seen many good hunting and fishing trips. I do remember the trip to PINS when the tranny fluid le out and it was unfortunate for you and Eddie, but being stranded on the beach was fun
                  Until Switz drank all the beer

Staying tuned in bro!

Cheers,
                  PASO

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                    Sweet truck

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                    Nice

Thanks

Originally posted by CarbonFlinger View Post
                    The new parts look good brotha! The new tranny looks tuff

The "BEAST" is a heck of a pick up. It's seen many good hunting and fishing trips. I do remember the trip to PINS when the tranny fluid le out and it was unfortunate for you and Eddie, but being stranded on the beach was fun
                    Until Switz drank all the beer

Staying tuned in bro!

Cheers,
                    PASO

Yeah it was never the same after it dumped the fluid. You guys were pretty tore up when we finally got back out on the beach after all the fiascos. Good times We need to do it again. This new tranny is the HD model and feels really nice so far. With the 6.0 cooler and my tranny gage I should not have any issues for a long time.
                    Last edited by Blast-n-cast; 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X