Homemade soil packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade soil packer

Only have the finished photo. Sorry 'bout that but it was a hectic 8 hrs of welding to finish it before I had to get ready to go offshore.

FIL found a 11 ft piece of 13 in diameter heavy gauge pipe that had been used as a drainage pipe. Cut 6 in off each end & used grinder to true them up. Found heavy gauge pipe that would fit inside each other for the axle on each end. Bought some 1/4 in plate steel for the ends. MAN, I hadn't bought metal in a while & wasn't ready for the sticker shock!

Cut two plate steel ends that were 14 in diameter & welded small diameter, 6 in piece of pipe on both ends. Took 3 in length of larger diameter pipe & slid it over the smaller pieces. Took 14 in of larger diameter pipe & made standoffs from the 3 in piece. Cut 11 ft off of 2 3/8 in pipe and welded standoffs to it. Took remainder of 2 3/8 in pipe, about 10+ ft & welded it to the frame as a tongue. Used 7 ft of heavy gauge angle iron as reinforcement pieces from the end of the standoffs toward the end of the tongue.

Finally, used LOTS of heat from cutting torch & a sledge hammer to beat the end of the tongue flat. Cut a hole in the tongue & installed a large shackle & pin in it. Now FIL can run a chain thru the shackle & attach the packer to the tandem disc in a more flexible fashion. We can now tandem the ground and not leave it rough. After 8 hrs of fabrication & welding I decided it would NOT be a future career choice for me!!!!

Don't think we will need any more weight on it but if that changes I can always weld a fitting in one end and put some water inside the packer.
    Attached Files

I made something like that but it wasn't as pretty as yours... I had nothing but sand in my arena and after a good practice it was a mess, it was great after a rain and got packed a little.

The sand gave my horses a good work out; I think it was like us running in a swimming pool.
    I like it, it should work great.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Working...
      X