Making Some Handmade Folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Some Handmade Folders

Alright yall here's a batch of folders I'm makin right now and thought I'd share a little of the process and show what I mean by Handmade! First I start by cutting out a blade, a lockbar, a springblock and a pair of liners.

Then I'll profile or grind em into shape, Hammerblow my name into the blade, hollowgrind it then cut grind and fit the locking mechanism and drill the pivot hole and thumbstud hole and countersink it

Once I get the blade and lockbar mated together I drill the blade and lockbar pivot holes into the liners

Now I'm profiling the spines final shape into the blade, lockbar and liners all at once. The Titanium throws the purdiest bright white sparks and they POP! all around you - kinda cool! Gotta wear a 2 stage respirator as Titanium fumes are TOXIC!!

Startin to look like a knife!

Now I make the spring and drill, tap and countersink the springblock assembly and assemble the knife

Once I finish with all the fine tuning I then disassemble and do all the filework to the blade, lockbar and springblock. Then do the filework and the jeweling to the liners

Now it's time to make the bolsters drill and counterbore the pivot hole in em, get the handles on liners and drill and tap the bolsters, handles and liners

Now it's time to heat treat the blade, lockbar, springblock and spring. Then temper accordingly (the blade, lockbar - springblock and the spring each to a different hardness). Then after removing the scale it's time to etch the blade to show the Damascus patterns and Anodize the liners to match the handle color. More pics. to come as I getrdone!!

Thats pretty awesome. Ide like to know where you got your sander/grinder unit.

Comment

Awesome work. I love your knives! Someday I'm going to have to save up and get one.

Comment

aint that cool, mighty skillful

Comment

Very impressed!

Comment

nice!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Killer knives Tim, they are going to be awesome.

Comment

Awesome! I love a beautiful handmade folder.

Comment

Hey Thanx Yall!
                    Originally posted by jesterdoc View Post
                    Awesome! I love a beautiful handmade folder.
                    Yeah there's something different about a handmade folder especially when you realize it is unique unto itself that she's the only one in the entire world like her!
                    I always say If God gives you hands make handmade!

-Tyhuck the one in the pic. is a Grizzly just go to Grizzly.com and my favorite has got to be Bader!

Comment

Cool, Thanks.

Comment

That's too cool! Mad skills, I'd love to hang out and watch that process

Comment

Hey Thanx Man! and here's todays progress, I've attached the bolsters then dovetailed, profiled, sanded and buffed em. Then I attached the handles which BTW are some stellar Mammoth Tusk from Siberia with the highly sought after blue tones in em - this is not dyed this from minerals leeching in at subzero temps. for 40 - 50,000 years! Now I'm gonna take all of it off and etch the bolsters as these are silver/copper mokume!

Comment

how do you keep the spacers next to the bolsters tight?btw awsome as always

Comment

How much are these knives?

Comment

Working...
                              X