Making my own Head Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tyhuck View Post
    Where do you get those? Ive got the exacto handle, but Ive never seen those type of blades before.
    You can get em from tandy that are good. Sometimes can find em at CVS pharmacy. They are an old shick injector blade I think. Those are chromed and cut smoother when you can find them. I will try to get a pic of the box they come in tomorrow.

Comment

As time progressed, and whaling ships were common in Alaska waters, the Eskimo took advantage of the new materials available to him: steel. Instead of using rocks, the native Alaskans made even better ulu knives – sharper and varied in design.
      The ulu is still used traditionally, especially when the salmon are abundant in the summer. Not only natives, but people around the world rely on the ulu for everyday cutting.
      The first time I saw on was in the early 90's when my band was booked at a crab fishing village on Sandpoint island; very interesting knife. I'm been toying with the idea of making one. Ty that saw blade steel you have will make a good one.

Comment

I started out using an utility knife (box knife). I owned 2 head knives but didn't use them much. I recently ordered one from leatherwranglers.com and am very impressed. The overall shape/design is like the one that Allaround posted. The push/pull edge is very handy.

As far as building one yourself, just like Allaround said, the blade itself has to be very thin. The edge has to be laid back a lot. As leather is a tough medium to cut in itself, the thickness of the leather makes it even more difficult. Therefore, the thinner the blade, more laid back edge of the blade, the easier it will cut thick leather. Head knives have to be kept SCARRY sharp. I strop mine every time I pick it up. Honing an edge on a head knife isn't easy and takes some serious time. Sharpening one isn't that bad but if you keep it sharp by stropping it very regularly, it'll require less resharpening.

Another thing about head knives, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! As sharp as these knives have to be to cut leather, having such a large cutting surface, one slip and it'll cut off something that you don't want cut off!!! ALWAYS keep your off hand BEHIND what you're cutting!!!

As far as using the skiving blades in an X-acto knife handle, it didn't work for me. The overall blade height (edge to back) was too great and didn't fit inside the handle.

Comment

my wife does alot of leatherwork and made her a few blades to help her needs. Got one in the works for Tubby i am forging from an old timbermill saw blade. what he stated is exactly what you would want to make and achieve in the use of this styled blade.<><

Comment

there are so many variations to one it really depends on the needs of those who will be using it<><

Comment

Working...
            X