Want to build a shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to build a shop

I want to build a shop/garage behind my house and was wondering if anyone out there had some tips or experienced workers around Corsicana that I could hire. I know basically nothing about building something like this, but I have wanted one for a while and think I will appreciate it a lot more if I do some of the construction myself. Thanks!

tell us a bit about this building...size...height...metal siding or wood...doors...windows...etc

I've built many and have my own opinions but before I spout them out, I'd like to hear your ideas.

Comment

All I can offer to you is figure out how big you want it and go BIGGER. I'm sure others will agree with me. Good luck, going to have to add on to mine.

Comment

I'm not really sure how big I want it. I have priced some steel buildings, but like the look of a wood barn better. I want it large enough to park my truck in, and would like to be able to work on or around the pickup comfortably without feeling cramped. The steel buildings I have looked at have been 500 sq ft and larger, and someone told me I ought to look into just doing it out of wood. I have seen some pics on here and was very impressed, but my knowledge of carpentry is minimal at best. I feel capable of doing it with some direction and possibly some assistance, but don't know where to start I guess.

Comment

Look at the DIY buildings from Mueller You will be hard pressed to buy the materials for what they get for a kit. They have bolt together buildings from lawn mower shed up to size "holy schnikes!"

Custom steel buildings from living spaces to storage spaces, from workshops to commercial buildings. Mueller has branch locations in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

Custom steel buildings from living spaces to storage spaces, from workshops to commercial buildings. Mueller has branch locations in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

I will be putting one up at my next house (don't plan to stay in this one much longer)
          Last edited by Gummi Bear; 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Sound like you will learn a lot, have fun and enjoy!

Comment

What ever size you think you want, double it.... Go as big as you can...

Comment

Originally posted by tod View Post
                What ever size you think you want, double it.... Go as big as you can...
                Yep x2

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb1206 View Post
                  Yep x2
                  X3

I have a 24x36 and it filled up FAST. Actually about to end up with another smaller one for the lawnmower and stuff like that.

Comment

I did a 60x40 mueller kit I can't walk in there now. Was 15k for kit 5 years ago. Don't know now.

Comment

Even if you never plan on having any plumbing in there I would rough in at least drains for a toilet and a sink and bring in a water line. If you change your mind someday you'll be glad you don't have to bust a bunch of concrete. It wouldn't add to much to the cost or timeline.

If you do, don't use thin wall plastic. Only use schedule 40.

Comment

garagejournal.com is a cool site with lots of info

Comment

I don't know how big you are talking but the kits are pretty reasonable at Mueller but I was quoted $6 sq/ft just for assembly. That ends up nearly doubling the cost of the building. And that's before concrete even comes into play.

Comment

Working...
                          X